CONTEXT("View") and web browsers

I have two actions. I would like to limit their display depending on the view. I have set the condition CONTEXT(โ€œViewโ€)=โ€œThis Viewโ€.

This seems to be working perfectly when using the mobile app but does not when using the app in a web browser.

Is this a known limitation or am I doing something wrong?..

@Aleksi, @praveen, @Steve, @Leventk

Solved Solved
0 12 1,287
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No @Fabian, it wasnโ€™t a dashboard view either. Just a standard map view with location points. When viewing a map in the mobile app or in the emulator, if you click on a point you are shown a deck view. Clicking this deck view then takes you to a detail view. Itโ€™s here on this detail view that I used the CONTEXT(โ€œViewโ€)=โ€œMy Detail Viewโ€ expression. The problem seemed to be, when viewing the map in a browser and clicking a point, the detail view is shown on the left, the user is not taken to a new detail view. I believe because of this, the CONTEXT expression when evaluated with result in false as the view would return as โ€œMy Map Viewโ€. In any event, I think I may have fixed it by using an OR expression:

OR(CONTEXT(โ€œViewโ€)=โ€œMy Detail Viewโ€, CONTEXT(โ€œViewโ€)=โ€œMy Map Viewโ€)

This expression accounts for the display being shown either in a mobile or web browser.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I would not expect different behavior between app and browser.

Is that the exact expression?

Where are you using the expression, specifically?

Hi Steve, thank you for taking the timeโ€ฆ

That is essentially the expression, CONTEXT(โ€œViewโ€)=โ€œThis Viewโ€ (I have triple checked the view name)
Since this works in the emulator and the mobile app, Iโ€™m certain this is correct.

The expression to determine whether to display the action is set within the actionโ€™s โ€œOnly if this condition is trueโ€ field.

The action should be displayed in a Detail view.

What prominence? Overlay? Prominently? Inline?

Prominently

In the browser location bar, see if you can find the part of the location that begins control=. There should be some text between it and a following ampersand (&). What is that text?

2X_a_a698beb4b30e8cae153ed605d8ead8bcc061bd85.png

When viewing the app in a browser, โ€˜controlโ€™ is not part of the URL:

https://www.appsheet.com/start/e877112e-XXXX-4531-91a9-7c754cb811a6#_currentLat=XX.456066&_currentLn...

I think youโ€™ve narrowed it down: Because this view is in fact a Map view and although I have clicked on an item displayed on the map which in turn displays a Detail_view to the left of the map, the CONTEXT is not picking up on the detail_view. I have tried changing the CONTEXT("view)=โ€œMap viewโ€ to no avail.

@Steve

I cannot explain it but, all seems well now.

Hi @Michael You may have just needed to refresh your browser??

Hi Lynn. Thanks for asking.

It definitely wasnโ€™t that. I tried 3 different browsers and two different computers.

@Michael Are you using a Dashboard View?

No @Fabian, it wasnโ€™t a dashboard view either. Just a standard map view with location points. When viewing a map in the mobile app or in the emulator, if you click on a point you are shown a deck view. Clicking this deck view then takes you to a detail view. Itโ€™s here on this detail view that I used the CONTEXT(โ€œViewโ€)=โ€œMy Detail Viewโ€ expression. The problem seemed to be, when viewing the map in a browser and clicking a point, the detail view is shown on the left, the user is not taken to a new detail view. I believe because of this, the CONTEXT expression when evaluated with result in false as the view would return as โ€œMy Map Viewโ€. In any event, I think I may have fixed it by using an OR expression:

OR(CONTEXT(โ€œViewโ€)=โ€œMy Detail Viewโ€, CONTEXT(โ€œViewโ€)=โ€œMy Map Viewโ€)

This expression accounts for the display being shown either in a mobile or web browser.

@Michael perfect solution!
I had the same issue in a dashboard view. When you want to hide Actions in a Detail view thatโ€™s part of the dashboard view, you have to say:
CONTEXT("ViewType") <> "Dashboard"
instead of
CONTEXT("ViewType") <> "Detail"

Top Labels in this Space