Can I delete OR disallow SAVE on "empty" parent records?

I am collecting forest survey data and would like to avoid empty parent records.

Can I:

a) disallow saving a parent record (on the form view) or
b) automatically delete a parent record (from the parent table)

… if no child record has been created on the parent form view?

Thank you!

0 5 144
  • UX
5 REPLIES 5

Maybe try to set some column’s Valid_If as something like this:

COUNT( [Related Children] ) > 0

Thank you Marc. I supposed you mean that I create a column in the parent table that will set the row to false if the COUNT is equal to “0”. And then connect with with an action that will delete this record. I will try that.

If I can’t get this tow work I will try setting up an action that will fire on FORM SAVED and will check for children and delete the row in the parent table if that COUNT is zero.

I will post my solution.

Thank you for your quick response.

No, that is not what I meant. You just put that expression into the Valid_IF setting for some column in the parent, probably any column will work.

Thank you Marc. I now understood and added this into the Valid_IF setting for one of the columns in the parent table. I tested the expression in the expression assistant and it showed FALSE. But the record was still saved in the parent table.

I think I identified why your solution is not working for me.

I am creating the parent record with a grouped action that first creates the record and then opens the form.

I suppose I will try to create an event that somehow executes a delete row action afterwards. Not sure how yet but I will investigate.

Thank you.

Top Labels in this Space