Can I have a Link to another View from a Form?

Hi everyone,

Can I have a Link to another View from a Form?
How may I do that?

I have an โ€œAppโ€ type column with the LINKTOVIEW() formula, but its not generating any link on the form view.

Thanks in advance!

0 13 1,000
13 REPLIES 13

Yes, you definitely can.

What expression are you using? And whatโ€™s the relationship of this app type column with your form?

Hi @Levent, thanks for your feedback.

the โ€œAppโ€ type column is one of the columns in the form.

I have in โ€œApp Formulaโ€ this: LINKTOVIEW(Guรญas)

โ€œGuรญasโ€ being the view I want to link.

@Nicolas_Feldman
I got that already but I couldnโ€™t be able to understand what it will do and whatโ€™s the use case?

Oh Im sorry,

So, this is a form for registering wildlife.

I would like users to have the possibility to go to another view to consult a โ€œWildlife Species ID guideโ€ while filling the form, in case theyโ€™re not sure what animal they are registering or how to spell it.

Thanks!

If thatโ€™s the intention, than I would suggest using a SHOW type column with URL content. However, when the user clicks that link, they will be abandoning the current form view and all data will be lost.

Thanks @LeventK,

I tried the โ€œShowโ€ column with the following URL content :(โ€œhttps://www.appsheet.com/start/69f86b7a-221d-40c1-8800-e233cd3177b5#view=Guรญas%20de%20Identificaciรณnโ€)

Now, when users click the generated link instead of just taking the user to that view, it opens the internal Appsheetยดs browser with the specified link.

Thereยดs two things I dont like about this:

1. the user may continue using the app and see all other views in the browser, once it is open. So it may cause some confussion, as you would running the app inside the appยดs browserยฟ?

2. This is an app intended to use mainly when offline. What will happen when users are offline? Will the browser work anyway?

Thanks!

As I have expressed before, clicking any kinda URL inside a Form View takes you out of the form and you lose form data entry. Actually there is no meaning to place a clickable URL to a Form View. AppSheet canโ€™t show URL content in a Pop-up window that you can view and then close and return back to the Form view.

I have explained this above.

There is no problem with the appโ€™s internal data or back-end data when used offline. If thereโ€™s no active connection or the app will be used offline mostly, there is no meaning to use a URL link as it wonโ€™t work.

As a workaround to your issue, I believe it might be a better idea to launch that form via a LINKTOFORM() action from that Guรญas assuming that itโ€™s a Detail View.

Thanks @Levent for your patience.

Will try that last workaround and start with the โ€œGuรญasโ€ view.

@Nicolas_Feldman
Another approach could be creating a helper table with the exact wording needed on the form associated with some tags. And then you can use the Suggested_Values property to create a dropdown of words related with those tags associated with that specific field. So that users can select a value, rather than trying to remember or need to lookup from somewhere else. Just an idea.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Why? It makes a difference.

Hi @Steve,
The guides Iยดm trying to link, are a tool that will help users fill the form.

This app Im building is for a national park and will be for public use, so weยดre expecting users that are not very familiar with wilfdlife monitoring reports, so offering a link directly from the form, we believe will help them input the appropiate information.

The user cannot leave the form incomplete while remaining in the app. In order to leave the form, the form must be saved or canceled first.

Thanks @Steve,

We wouldnยดt mind losing the info in the form, they can go back and fill that again after reviewing the Guide.

We just want to have there the link, so in case the user starts a form and then they dont know what to answer.
They have the option there to go to the โ€œGuideโ€ view.

Top Labels in this Space