Can I reference information on a list that an EnumList is referencing through a Select() expression?

To start, I am incredibly new at Appsheet and not good at this yet. Please explain like I'm 5 lol.

I have an imported list that is being referenced on an EnumList using SELECT(Items Export[Items: Item Number],TRUE). I couldn't make it a Ref column due to users needing the option to select multiple, and I wasn't seeing that I could do that with Ref.

The issue I'm running into now is that I would like to reference another column on the Items export sitting in Google Sheets and auto populate a different column on this dataset, but because it's not being referenced as a Ref column it's giving me an error. Is there a way to get around this?

Solved Solved
0 1 70
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello there,

The problem is that, since you chose to have the users select from multiple options from your Items Export table using an EnumList, doing a reference is no longer a simple matter.

Lets imagine you want to get the [Items: Item Status] column (that I just made up) from that table.

If you had a ref, you just derefence it like this [REFcolumn].[Items: Item Status]

But since you have an EnumList storing these references, that means you can have 1 or more items that you need the get the data from the [Items: Item Status] column now, and since this means it went from a 1 to 1 relationship to a 1 to many, a REF column isn't gonna cut it anymore.

You COULD create an expression that would use those references in the EnumList column you made and pull the values from any desired column, but these in turn would be a List, not a single value, and I'm suspecting you just want to have one of the values.

If you could explain a bit more about your use case I might be able to provide some more advice.

But I'm guessing the solution would be to stick to the REF and have the users create the entries one by one, but that depends a lot on your use case, which I know nothing about.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hello there,

The problem is that, since you chose to have the users select from multiple options from your Items Export table using an EnumList, doing a reference is no longer a simple matter.

Lets imagine you want to get the [Items: Item Status] column (that I just made up) from that table.

If you had a ref, you just derefence it like this [REFcolumn].[Items: Item Status]

But since you have an EnumList storing these references, that means you can have 1 or more items that you need the get the data from the [Items: Item Status] column now, and since this means it went from a 1 to 1 relationship to a 1 to many, a REF column isn't gonna cut it anymore.

You COULD create an expression that would use those references in the EnumList column you made and pull the values from any desired column, but these in turn would be a List, not a single value, and I'm suspecting you just want to have one of the values.

If you could explain a bit more about your use case I might be able to provide some more advice.

But I'm guessing the solution would be to stick to the REF and have the users create the entries one by one, but that depends a lot on your use case, which I know nothing about.

Top Labels in this Space