Can there be a Maps View with KML per record? I'm confused.

Noting this related question here but no answers as per KML.

There is a Map View which can be displayed per record.  The Address or LatLon signals just a point location?  On this field inside the data, there is a place to link to a KML.  This KML seems to be consistent for all records, not per record.  Therefor the KML is only to provide a "global" spatial display layer?

Is there a way to have a KML display in Map View per each record?

0 10 316
10 REPLIES 10

I have only recently began researching the usage of KML's in AppSheet.  Based On what I understand, you CAN apply KML per record.  It maybe that you need different KML files for each variation and will then need to specify which is used by an expression on the AppSheet column for that row.  I haven't done this myself but it's what I gathered when I was reviewing the capabilities.

I have used multiple and different KML link references, but the only way I can see to get it to work is to edit the data source and select LatLong, select the field then fill this out at the TABLE level:

Xepoch_0-1685118967710.png

This is a single KML URL that applies for ALL records in the table.  This makes sense if I want to have a single base KML layer for my latlon points, but I can't seem to get a KML per record.

If you can figure this out, would be greatly appreciated 🙂

What you are doing is right, that's the only way

Yeah 😞  My KML is per record and defined within the data.  Looks like I'm off to file a feature request!

KML are applied for a certain entity, or table. Even if I understand how convenient it would be to have an expression assistant option for the KML layer, I don't know the exact use case for it yet, since map views are made for a group of records instead of just one

My use case (just FYI) is that I am using AppSheet to manage access to a large corpus of spatial data files in KML (I have them hosted).  It would be really awesome to be able to have my App be able to display the KML inside the App in a Map view.  Presently I just have static thumbnail that is used, but that is just so limiting.

Each entry has a record in my Sheet, with info and URL-to-the-KML links.

I get it. Well, KML usage here is way different from what you need, but may be worth to add a feature request for it if there isn't one already

@Alamosa wrote:

Noting this related question here but no answers as per KML.

I replied there with a link to the documentation, please read it.

Thanks, but unfortunately, I think the answer from the link you provided (and of which I've previously read) is that NO, you CANNOT have a dynamic KML layer that is per record, nor can you specify a KML within the data itself.  Rather, it is a static + global URL that is metadata at the data source itself inside AppSheet.

Exactly

Top Labels in this Space