Behaviours not always running

Hello, I have a behaviour which is set to add data to a second table once an item has been saved to the first table. That isn't an issue. What is an issue is in testing it worked fine, but in the real world the behaviour is hit and miss if it run.

Now there is no condition set, so it is set to run if an item is saved (Added) to the first table so here is my theory:

When the item in table 1 is saved, the orange bubble shows 2 (it's got to save the items to table 1 and also items to table 2). If table 1 is edited before the items have finished syncing, would that affect the behaviour? This is possible if the sync'ing is particularly long, say 2 - 5 seconds?

Solved Solved
0 6 93
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Domearian wrote:

the behaviour is hit and miss if it run

Review the data source's logs (e.g., in Sheets, view a cell's edit history) to confirm whether the 2nd row is indeed never being added or, instead, being added but then overwritten. Knowing that can focus your troubleshooting. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@Domearian wrote:

it is set to run if an item is saved (Added) to the first table

It sounds like you're invoking the "behavior" via an automation. Consider instead directly setting the action to add a row as the Form saved event for the form view from which the row is added; you could define a condition for the action so that it runs only if the pertinent row in the 2nd table doesn't already exist.

No, the action is created via the Save Form action.

@Domearian wrote:

If table 1 is edited before the items have finished syncing, would that affect the behaviour?

In the use case you described, No, it would simply add an additional edit to the list.  All edits will be processed in the order they occur. 

HOWEVER...NOTE, this includes any automation that is triggered.  As each edit is applied, any automation triggered by that edit will execute and run to completion BEFORE going to the next edit. 

Are there any potential Bots getting triggered based on the row edits you are performing?  

The behaviour, is actioned using the Form Saved as below:

Domearian_0-1685119007845.png

@Domearian wrote:

the behaviour is hit and miss if it run

Review the data source's logs (e.g., in Sheets, view a cell's edit history) to confirm whether the 2nd row is indeed never being added or, instead, being added but then overwritten. Knowing that can focus your troubleshooting. 

It's my own fault. I found the culprit. For some unknown reason I had put an expression in that only carried out the action if within a certain amount of time of the original table 1 submission. Heavens knows why  I put it there. ALWAYS CHECK THE CONDITIONS!!

Thanks people.

Top Labels in this Space