Can we dynamically execute expressions at runtime

HBT
Silver 4
Silver 4

Hello to everyone

Can we dynamically execute expressions at runtime.

Table Column
ID
Function Name
Function Value
Test Value
Returning value

Table records
(ID): 1
(Function Name) = Left (
(Function Value) = 8
(TestValue) = Hello World
(Returning value) = RunTime_xFunction ([Function Name] + “” “+ [TestValue] +” “” + [Function Value] + “)”) = Hello Wo

(ID): 2
(Function Name) = Contex (
(Function Value) =
(TestValue) = VIEW
(Returning value) = RunTime_xFunction ([Function Name] + “” “+ [Test Value] +” “” + [Function Value] + “)”) = TEST_FORM

(ID): 3
(Function Name) = Count (
(Function Value) = LIST (“a”, “b”, “c”)
(TestValue) =
(Returning value) = RunTime_xFunction ([Function Name] + “” “+ [Test Value] +” “” + [Function Value] + “)”) = 3

(ID): 4
(Function Name) = Right (
(Function Value) = “Hello World,5)”
(TestValue) =
(Returning value) = RunTime_xFunction ([Function Name] + “” “+ [Test Value] +” “” + [Function Value] + “)”) = World
… or similar

I haven’t found runtime, function execution functions in appsheet forms and articles.

1- Is there a way to work as above?
2- If not possible, can a script function be requested to run the functions to be written at runtime?

Your suggestions for solutions and is this only necessary for me or is there anybody other than me. I would like to hear your comments.

0 6 171
6 REPLIES 6

Nope. You may not be aware but AppSheet is not a programming language

Do you think the lack of that kinda documentation can be because of AppSheet’s not being a programming language?

Nope. Read above comment.

Nope. Read above comments.

No suggestions might be available because no solution exists.

100%

Definitely no. You are the one and only since 2014.

HBT
Silver 4
Silver 4

Dear levent;

The motto of Appsheet is The intelligent no ‑ code platform. I know this, and Praveen Seshadri says in an article (AppSheet Blog | Praveen Seshadri) you’ll be happy using Appsheet.

I have been using Appsheet for 16 days and have achieved happy results. It would take me 160 days to do my work in a normal programming language.

I think I’ll start with a few users after paying the Appsheet fee in a few weeks.

I think there is a need for functions that will work dynamically within the application to write the application faster.

For example, in an application with hundreds of views, there is a menu names field and view names field in a menu table, you dynamically link views to an action with a LinkToView ([MENUFILED]) function and display. This is really amazing.

But if there was a function like GetViews () -as far as I know, there is no such function- When we add the menu records to the menu form, what if we see the view names with the GetViews () function and add the records to a field that defines the view names as ENUM type?

Writing a program “just by adding a record” in accordance with the motto of The intelligent no ‑ code platform.

Therefore, I think that functions are needed by running functions and I see appsheet as a deficiency because this is the platform without code. It’s a kind of function programming.

Do apologize but I have understood nothing what you are talking about really. You are trying to describe a very extreme edge. For ex:

AppSheet is neither an OOL nor a WYSIWYG style cloud function execution container like Kubernetes. In my jargon, there is no such description: “…to write the application faster…”. Provided you are pointing out to developing a mobile application with using AppSheet Development platform, I’m sorry but I couldn’t be able to establish any correlation with the dynamically working functions here.

Menu records? to menu form?? GetViews() function?? Even-if you have that function to retrieve view names, provided you haven’t developed that view within the app editor, what’e the meaning of having an ENUM param for that? If you are talking about creating a UX view with just adding a row of data, sorry but it’s a bit ridiculous.

I’m lost, sorry! We are not even on the same page…

I think AppSheet simply isn’t what you want, @HBT. You’re looking for what AppSheet may be in several years in the future, not what it is today or even in the foreseeable future.

It would not be correct to say “not what I want”. I meet 80% of my requests to Appsheet. I really like the product and have been working on it for the past two weeks continuously.

I read a lot of blog posts, articles, especially the articles of Santiago Uribe Montoya. It gives great information and gives accurate examples.

If I’m not mistaken, the first platform without code is Appsheet. But there are those who imitate you, as well as original and low-code platforms, Amazon Honey code, IBM Lansa, Zoho etc.

If I don’t get it wrong, you ask what Appsheet can do in a few years. According to Praveen Seshadri, “As we’ve matured, so has the IT industry, and there is now a tremendous pent-up demand for enterprise automation.” Amazon HoneyCode CEO also said such words. He says that there is a great demand and the world of programming can no longer meet the demands, so low code-no code is needed.

In the next few years, Appsheet will grow with the wind of google. It will open a new era that its competitors will emulate in advanced enterprise automation software with no code or low code.

I know what I want and what I say. I do not look at the arrogant answers.

Thanks for your attention, @Steve

@HBT
Provided you’re pointing out to me with some null subjects like above in your very didactical post, I kindly restitute those words back to you. My answers were quite straightforward and am not sure in where you have found that arrogancy, but I’m afraid that’s totally your wishful thinking. I have started developing apps with AppSheet when you were not even aware of the platform. With 6 yrs in AppSheet and around 3 decades in programming, I’m pretty much sure that I deserve the required respect from a newbie developer of just 16days old. Thus; if you need to say anything to me, either address it directly to me or send a DM. At least it will be more professional. Thanks for the consideration.

Top Labels in this Space