Child Form in a Parent Form Dereference Concern

Does dereferencing work on initial values in a Child Form from a Parent Form?

Context:

• Parent table: disbursement (total amount check issued) - a new record is created for each check issued. (e.g. Total amount of check issued is $100)

• Child table: composition of the disbursement (e.g from the $100 disbursement, $20 is allocated to Office Expense while the other $80 is allocated to Salaries Expenses)

As I enter a new parent record, I also required my users to input the breakdown of the disbursement, requiring them to enter itโ€™s child record.

Now, there is a portion in the childโ€™s form where the value already exists in the parent (e.g. Date of disbursement, Name of Payee)

I tried dereferencing by doing [ParentRefColumn].[ParentColumn] in the initial value. Upon checking, that column was blank when the child form was opened from the parent form.

Also: The parent form is in a slice, then the referenced child is also in a slice. The childโ€™s parentRefColumn is referenced to the original table not the slice (does this effect the dereferencing somehow?)

Am I doing something wrong? Or it just wonโ€™t work this way, since the parent record is not yet recorded?

0 3 197
3 REPLIES 3

Your ref shall point out to the slice. Edit the REF_ROWS() expression to reflect the slice name and try again.

I did what you mentioned but still the same, the column is still blank as I open the child form from the parent form.

Would you mind to explain how you are opening the child form from the parent? With use of isPartOf reverse referencing?

Top Labels in this Space