Child records not getting printed in report

I have a child table linked to a parent table.

I have a report template from the parent table which is set to display all its child records using select([Related childs][Key], TRUE) within the start expression.

The report is said to trigger on adds.

What happens is that the child records all come out blank in the report.

I have only one far previous experience regarding this, that the report is triggered before the child records are saved. I have for now devised a workaround and am now triggering the report based on a separate data change action, but I do want to get to the bottom of how to get what I want just on adds.

I had encountered a similar problem months ago, but I dont remember, and I dont have access to the app as well.

Solved Solved
0 9 434
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You need to add that action as Event action to your Parent tableโ€™s form view. That will trigger it when the parent & child are saved. Though you need to change the trigger from Adds to Updates. For the condition rule you should use
AND(ISNOTBLANK([Trigger]),[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Trigger] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[Trigger])

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

If it is possible to post a screenshot of your template with relevant expressions, it will be great. Please mask any column names etc. that you wish before sharing screenshot.

Here

The reason is probably quite simple. The Workflow is triggered before child records are saved. Thatโ€™s the normal behavior. The order is: Parent is saved > Workflow is triggered > Child records are saved. You can easily test this if you trigger the Workflow with an update. It should show you all child records as well.

Thats what I did - I added a separate column, say Trigger with type โ€˜timeโ€™ in the parent table (here - workorder), and have set an action change it to now()

Then the workflow trigger equation is set as:

[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Trigger] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[Trigger]

Am sure, by now with @Aleksiโ€™s guidance you must have got it working.

The following is not related to the problem of empty children records you faced but could you update if any specific reason you are using the below syntax?

As per my understanding SELECT([Related Job Products][Key], TRUE) ,even though syntactically correct will yield the same results as simply writing [Related Job Products] if [Key] is the key column.

Also could you please mention the name of the key column of the โ€œJob Productsโ€ table?

[Key] is the key column here. I havenโ€™t named it otherwise.

Thank you.

In that case, I believe SELECT([Related Job Products][Key], TRUE) is equivalent to simply [Related Job Products]?

Not a major point for end result but just thought of mentioning because the post thread started with that expression.

You need to add that action as Event action to your Parent tableโ€™s form view. That will trigger it when the parent & child are saved. Though you need to change the trigger from Adds to Updates. For the condition rule you should use
AND(ISNOTBLANK([Trigger]),[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Trigger] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[Trigger])

May I added. My idea is no need to put [key] just stop >> after [related table]โ€‹ then continue with <<[key] >> and remove TRUE as well.

Top Labels in this Space