Format Rule applied to Ref dropdown list?

It’s been a while since I have applied Format Rules so maybe this behavior has always been there.

I want to apply formatting to a Ref column when a row has NOT been processed. The format is a green icon and green text - very basic.

When I access the Form, I find that all of the dropdown values have the format applied. This doesn’t seem right. It seems the format should only apply to the selected column value NOT the possible values shown in the dropdown. (see image below)

Does anyone else see this behavior as an issue?

1 5 429
  • UX
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @WillowMobileSystems

I quickly tested with simple sample, and it seems the applied format rule is respected when we refer them in the dropdown.

See the sample I just tested for you to see the detail where you could see the difference in set ups from your apps.

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/Autocreated-from-Google-Sheets?appGuidString=a55a9fba-7f2e-4bc8-afd...

The sample app does not quite represent my use case. I’m sure I didn’t explain clearly enough.

In your sample app, you have applied Format Rules to the values of the Enum table. These carry through to the dropdown used within the Form as I would expect

To translate my use case to your sample app, apply a Format Rule to the “Enum” column in the Form table

When I bring up the Form after the changes noted above the dropdown looks like this:

My original argument was that the dropdown values are NOT YET Form table row values so it doesn’t seem to make sense to apply Form table Format Rules to these values.

I am now less certain if this is a problem. I can see the benefit of having both Enum Format Rules and Form Format Rules applied to the dropdown values in the list so a user can see how the selected value WILL look once chosen.

Hi there,
I m not deeply investigating the case, and not sure how Appsheet is working behind.
On your case, the format rule is not being applied when each drop down value is not really have value, as they are not saved.

I m usually making kinda of master table to construct dropdown options, so not fully understand what your problem is , to be honest.

If you want to restrict “where” formatting rules are applied:

CONTEXT(“ViewType”) my friend… CONTEXT(“ViewType”). 3X_d_5_d51363a862e7ab883241c312ac5d7f271579cdd3.gif

Yeah I had tried CONTEXT(), but I can’t seem to get CONTEXT(“ViewType”) to work the way I think it should. I’ll post this in a new thread.

Top Labels in this Space