Complex form logic based on earlier selection

I have a situation where a selection is made in a form dropdown between, firstly, 4 different values - depending on which is selected, this loads the next dropdown which has three more.

Once those are selected, I then load one of four forms which need to have different fields showing based on the second dropdown.

I don't think this is a dependent dropdowns problem, it's that I want to either 'grey out' or remove certain fields from the form that is displayed after the second selection.

How would I go about doing this in general terms please?

thanks

James

Solved Solved
0 4 145
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The requirement is not exactly clear but maybe you want to take a look at branching with forms help article.

https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/10107390

Title" Create multi-page forms with conditional branching"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Based on the result of the second dropdown, you would either apply a Show_If expression to show/hide the field  OR  apply an Editable_If expression to allow the field to be editable or not.

To help simplify approach,  Forms are meant to help guide a user through data entry.  I use an approach where I only show what is required at that moment.  If the choice of a field is dependant on the outcome of another, I typically do NOT show it UNTIL that other field has been selected and sometimes this might also affect the showing of other related fields. 

For non-editable fields, I only show them if they provide information to help make a decision in a shown editable field or convey assurance of its default value.  Otherwise, what is the point of cluttering up the Form with non-essential fields the user can't change.

Thanks, I can see that Show_if is probably what I need, but I can't seem to locate any good examples of how to use it, the available help pages are very obscure and the video clips unhelpful. Do you know of a resource that would give me an example of the expressions to use please?

The requirement is not exactly clear but maybe you want to take a look at branching with forms help article.

https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/10107390

Title" Create multi-page forms with conditional branching"

Thank you, I've begun to figure out how to do it now!

Top Labels in this Space