Conditionally show a row from a table

Hi,

I have an events table which has a slice to show upcoming events (>= TODAY()). However, in the event there are no events, I would like to display a placeholder message - something like “there are currently no scheduled events etc etc” with a future date for example of 01/01/2099.

I assumed I could add a fallback row in my data which is an “event” but just had all the placeholder message info I’d like to display.
What I don’t know is how to conditionally display (or hide) that row in my ux view IF I have a 0 rowcount in my slice (or I guess a single row as it would be my default row only in the dataset).

Does anyone know how I can achieve this or have another approach I could try?

Thanks
Immy

0 12 888
12 REPLIES 12

One of the ways is to create 2 views, let say “Event” and “No Event” views.

The Event view is from the Slice with [EventDate]>=TODAY()), having a Show If view condition: COUNT(Slice[EventID])>0

The “No Event” view is from another slice just for this, say the slice row filter condition of [EventID] = ABC, the ABC is the key that is manually input in the source data. So this slice will just show this row only.

This “No Event” view is having a Show If view condition something like: COUNT(Slice[EventID])=0

Hi,

That’s pretty much the way I’ve implemented it, the problem is that the app is so slow to reload I was hoping for a “lighter” solution. I don’t know why the takes so long to refresh - their is not much data at all and it’s almost all read-only. Max rows a table has is around 20. So either it’s the dynamic logic in use in a number of tables/slices or the infrastructure. I’ve been over all the support docs around improving load times and enabled everything I can, but still the app takes around 12-15 seconds to refresh which is way too long, so I’m reluctant to use appsheet as my final solution, as great as it is.

Thanks
Immy

That’s usually the case.

How many tables and slices do you have? Are there sheet formulas? What sync times are you looking for?

Hi there,

I have 12 tables/slices in total - the base tables have avg 7 rows of data. I was hoping for around 5-8 seconds max. Most are read only. Anything more just leaves the app feel like its syncing for an eternity

Immy

Have you consulted the docs?

I have, as I mentioned in my first reply. Right now the refresh times are inconsistent - I make no changes and… sometimes I get 6 second refreshes, sometimes it’s 15. Very inconsistent.

is your internet connection consistent?

Yes I’ve elminiated that - it’s the same if I’m on 4G / Wifi or my home WIFI (150MB down).

My inclination is to start with your slice row filter expressions. Can you post some screenshots?

Sure I only have 2… extremely simple

Events, currently has 5 rows of data - 0 currently returned in the slice as expected.

Events again, as above

Okay, clearly no problem there. How about virtual columns? What App formula expressions are you using?

Top Labels in this Space