Contextual fill for Alternate "Add" form

Starting in a detail view on my main table, I have and inline view of related records from a different table. When I click on the โ€œviewโ€ link on my my inline form it takes me to a table that is filtered to just the related records. Then when I click the standard Add โ€œ+โ€ action button it prefills the reference information that ties it back to the original record so that I do not have to select that. However, I have created a Form to add data to my table in an alternate (additional) manner than the original Add form. When I click on my action that opens my alternate Add form the reference field does not automatically prepopulate.

Therefore I was going to use the โ€œLINKTOFORM()โ€ options to pass the value to the field. The problem is I do not know how to determine the value from the current view since I am on a table view and it does not have a specific record selected to pull the value from. I am assuming there is some sort of filter value passed to filter the view but I cannot figure out how to capture that value from the table view.

Thanks for your help in advance.

0 9 414
9 REPLIES 9

Have you tried using de-ref expressions in the initial value of the fields or assiging de-ref expression to the column values inside the LINKTOFORM expression?

I had wanted to use a de-ref expression. However, since I am on a filtered view of a Table and do not have a specific row selected, I cannot reference the fields to specify the values to pull into the link.

I am thinking some screenshots may help:

Detail screen where Inline form is presented:

Grouped Table view where the action is initiated. The system automatically filters this form to have only the records related to โ€œTNNASโ€ since it was initiated from from the detail screen:

Hitting the โ€œ+โ€ icon opens the standard Add screen and pre-fills โ€œTNNASโ€:

Hitting the Airplane icon opens the Alternate Form that is not prefilled:

The action to open the form is currently: โ€œ#view=Contacts_Form%20For%20Refโ€
My proposed link would be: LINKTOFORM(โ€œContacts_Form For Refโ€, โ€œMinistryโ€,???)

So my quandary is how to build the information to fill in the ??? part since I am not on a detail screen.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

@Rob_Rhodes
Try with this. Please make necessary adoptions/edits to the below expression as Iโ€™m not aware of your table and ref schema

LINKTOFORM("Contacts_Form For Refโ€, โ€œMinistryโ€,[Ministry].[ChildTableKeyColumnName])

Yes I tried that. This makes the action dependent on a record and it moves from the table view to the detail view as such:

Adding [Ministry].[ChildTableKeyColumnName] to the LINKTOFORM expression in the action does this to the Table View:

The action now only appears on the Detail screen of the contacts:

I am assuming that is because the De-Ref Expression requires a specific record and cannot use that syntax when a list of records is presented.

There is no way for an action to know anything about the rows displayed in an aggregate (deck, gallery, or table) view, nor is there a (built-in) way to determine from what view or row the user came from to get to the current view and/or row.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

So, in essence, what you are saying is that there is magic that the system generated โ€œ+โ€ Action can access that a user built Action cannot?

Yep.

Top Labels in this Space