Copy value to table

We manufacture metal parts on CNC machines.
Each product is made by means of several technological operations.
There is an application โ€œProduction of productsโ€, containing tables:
โ„–1. 1. โ€œList of manufactured articlesโ€.
โ„–2. 2. โ€œJournal of technological operationsโ€.

After each technological operation is performed, a new record is created in the โ€œJournal of technological operationsโ€. (table 2.)
In the new record is entered:

• id Products from Table No. 1. ( to the column [Product] ).
  • number of the executed operation ( in the column [Operation] ).

The task:
When creating each new record in Table No. 2. , copy from it the number of the executed operation in Table No. 1. ( in the column [Current operation] ).

Thus, each executed operation updates the [Current operation] column in Table No. 1 for the corresponding product.

What I was able to do: when adding a new entry in Table No. 2. update the [Current operation] column in Table No. 1. to the text value โ€œUpdatedโ€.

Please help: How to add the operation number from Table No. 2 instead of the text value. ?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

0 4 397
4 REPLIES 4

This is a common request - update a value in a row in another table using values from this row. Unfortunately, this ability does not directly exist yet. In the meantime, I encourage you to visit the Feature Request and Upvote it to help us get it implemented into AppSheet.

There are work arounds. But before I offer a suggestion, I am wondering if maybe there might be a better way to handle your need.

A couple questions:

1. What is the purpose of recording the [Current Operation] into the Products Table #1? How is it used within the app?

2. Wonโ€™t this [Current Operation] change frequently?

Thanks for the answer. The purpose of the [Current Operation] entry is to determine the current manufacturing status of the product. Comparing the current operation with the total number of operations, I will determine the manufacturing progress.

This [Current operation] will change after each next operation on this product (creating a new entry in the Operation Log).

Ok. Iโ€™m assuming that [Current Operation] is not just a count but a textual description of which operation is being performed?

Nothing is coming to mind for an easier/better way to handle your need.

So, below is how I would implement a work around. Others may have alternative suggestions.

I would add to Table #2 a column for โ€œUpdated?โ€. Then in the action that is updating Table #1, perform a an ANY(SELECT()) function to get access to the row and copy its information.

The expression might be like this:

ANY(
    SELECT(Table2[Operation], AND([Product] = [_THISROW].[Product],
                                  [Updated?] <> "TRUE"
                              )
    )
)

It is assumed that the SELECT() would return only a single row for that Product. But it is in LIST form.
ANY() gets the Text value from the first List item.

Lastly, youโ€™ll need to add an Action step to set the โ€œUpdated?โ€ column to โ€œTRUEโ€.

I hope this helps!

Thanks, John.

Top Labels in this Space