Create Comments Section as A Detail View?

Hi all,

I am trying to create a comments section on my app and cannot figure it out. I am making a food tracking app and I want people to be able to comment on other peopleโ€™s daily results. I have a main view that is a Deck View that shows daily results for people. I want people to be able to click on any daily entry they want and comment on it.

I used the Data and Comments (Data and Comments) template and created a Comments Table which has a related Comments List in the table from which I created my Deck View. But I cannot seem to set up my ux so that clicking on one of the entries to my Deck view will bring me to a Comments section. Instead I get a Details section that I honestly am not sure where it is coming from. Any help appreciated. I have created a Comments Ref View but I canโ€™t seem to make the Deck View that it references display the Comments view.

I would appreciate any help in understanding where these I guess they are called detail views? are generated from and how to manually set up one for leaving comments as Iโ€™ve described.

Cheers,
Tony

ps - I tried to upload screenshots but when I pasted them in what I saw were what may be links to them but the screenshots themselves did not appear. Should I trust that screen shots will appear when I post my topic, or is there some other way to upload them?

0 3 450
  • UX
3 REPLIES 3

The โ€œComments Ref Viewโ€ is a table(or deck, or card) View on the Comments Table?

I think you could do this:
Create a new Action on the main Table, of type" go to another view", and use the expression similar to:

LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW(
  "Comments Ref view" ,
  [ref-col-in-comments-table] = [_THISROW]
)

Then from your deck view on the main Table, set this new Action as the Row-Selected Behavior.

Some more general info for you:

Default behavior when clicking on a single record from a โ€œcollectionโ€ View (table,deck,card,galleryโ€ฆ), is to go to the Detail view of that record. Detail views are always auto-generated for every Table, but you may need to select the โ€œShow system viewsโ€ option from the bottom of the UX>Views page to find them.

When you have references set up between Table, the parent recordโ€™s Detail view should automatically display an โ€œinlineโ€ view of related child records.

If youโ€™re in the editor, and are seeing a View in the emulator, you can also jump straight to that view by clicking the blue โ€œviewโ€ link underneath the emulator.

I always paste images directly into the post editor. Here is what I see on my screen for the above screenshot.

Thanks Marc! I have read your response and will spend some time absorbing it and attempting to implement your suggestions.
Cheers,
Tony

It worked! Many thanks. It took me a beat to walk through it, but with some trial and error I got it working. Thanks for the general information as well, which helped make things make a bit more sense overall.

Cheers,
Tony

Top Labels in this Space