Creating a Summary View

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a dashboard view in my app, that takes snapshots of data and displays them neatly on the home page. Some of the data may be how many people in a database like the colour blue, or how many have a birthday in the next thirty days.

Specifically, I want to display the totals in a dashboard, not the list of people that meet the criteria. So instead of showing the individuals who like blue, I just want to display "15 people like blue".

I have been playing around with some ways to do this in-app (I'd prefer to avoid spreadsheet formulae if I can avoid it) but I wonder if anyone has any neat ideas of how to achieve this?

Solved Solved
1 1 421
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hope the below description helps you.

It sounds that you are looking for aggregating results of several records in the dashboard format.

Option 1 : If you do it on your own, you will typically need several multirow expressions such as SELECT() etc.

Advantage : You can use format rules, card views etc. to show those aggregated values in visually elegant manner.

Disadvantage: These multirow expressions will typically add substantially to your app sync time if you try to summarize various parameters just for the dashboard.

Option 2:  You can leave it to  AppSheet to do it on its own using Group by and Aggregate By options in the AppSheet views

Advantage: Those computations by AppSheet within the view will not add substantially to app sync time. 

Disadvantage:  You may not have much control on formatting of those aggregated values.

An example of option 2 in image below

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1651552413028.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hope the below description helps you.

It sounds that you are looking for aggregating results of several records in the dashboard format.

Option 1 : If you do it on your own, you will typically need several multirow expressions such as SELECT() etc.

Advantage : You can use format rules, card views etc. to show those aggregated values in visually elegant manner.

Disadvantage: These multirow expressions will typically add substantially to your app sync time if you try to summarize various parameters just for the dashboard.

Option 2:  You can leave it to  AppSheet to do it on its own using Group by and Aggregate By options in the AppSheet views

Advantage: Those computations by AppSheet within the view will not add substantially to app sync time. 

Disadvantage:  You may not have much control on formatting of those aggregated values.

An example of option 2 in image below

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1651552413028.png

Top Labels in this Space