Creating a child table using a virtual column

BenBl

I have an Orders table and I have a Scheduled events table (linked to a Google calendar). Each order should have multiple scheduled events (e.g. order 1 will have dates scheduled for โ€œintakeโ€, โ€œmanufacturingโ€, and โ€œshippingโ€).

Usually, the recipe I would use is:

• create a real column in the events table. Make it type โ€œrefโ€ pointing to Orders table. Tick off " is apart of".
  • this automatically creates a virtual column in Orders.

But! The issue is: because Scheduled Events is a Google calendar, I canโ€™t add arbitrary real columns. Iโ€™ve tried using some of the existing fields (like โ€œevent creatorโ€ and โ€œweb linkโ€) as the ref field, but Google overwrites these values and the connection between the entry and its order is lost. I donโ€™t want to use title and description for appsheet purposes, because these have specific values with specific meanings in my application.

So, Iโ€™d love a general answer:

• can I make one table a child of another using a virtual column?

Or a specific answer:

• how do I make a Google calendar table a child of another table without sacrificing fields like description and title?
1 4 236
4 REPLIES 4

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Sure.

โ€ฆ how? Virtual columns require formulas. Whatโ€™s the formula to get it to store the key for its parent?

Good question! How would you know which row is its parent?

I donโ€™t really follow your question.

Typically, creating a real column of ref type + marking it as โ€œpart ofโ€ will automatically 1) alter the parentโ€™s form to allow the user to add a child to it. 2) automatically populate that column with its parentโ€™s key upon creation of a new row. If I create a virtual column with some made up formula, then change it to ref and โ€œpart ofโ€, I can achieve the first, but AFAIK, not the second.

Top Labels in this Space