Custom Sorting

Setup: I have a dashboard view using two reference views as filters to customize a third table style view at the bottom. (Example: Using this setup to custom sort a list of which sales people wore a red tie today AND packed a lunch)

Problem: I would like the resulting table style view at the bottom of my dashboard to sort based on the the inputs of the two filters above. (Example: sort by last name in ascending order if the โ€œRED tie and packed lunchโ€ options are selected. But sort by first name descending if the โ€œBLUE tie and packed lunchโ€ options are selected.)

Can AppSheet do this?

1 4 386
  • UX
4 REPLIES 4

Without leaving the dashboard to go to another view, there is no way to dynamically change the sorting parameters based on selections in other views of a dashboard.

Keep in mind that the user can sort a table view however they want, just by clicking on the column headers.

How about if you add a detail view with a quick editable field + virtual columnโ€ฆ then you could sort the table view depending on the virtual columnโ€™s value.

Thatโ€™s a good idea @Aleksi

Though I canโ€™t imagine how one would construct the expression for the VC to output the sort order based on the selected filter/sort items. That seems difficult.

It doesnโ€™t need to be complexโ€ฆ think about a virtual column that has a formula likeโ€ฆ
SWITCH([Sort Selection],
ColumnA,[ColumnA],
ColumnB,[ColumnB],
[ColumnC])

Now if you sort the view with the virtual column, it will have different values depending on what you have selected for the โ€œSort Selectionโ€ column.

Top Labels in this Space