Custom Sorting

Setup: I have a dashboard view using two reference views as filters to customize a third table style view at the bottom. (Example: Using this setup to custom sort a list of which sales people wore a red tie today AND packed a lunch)

Problem: I would like the resulting table style view at the bottom of my dashboard to sort based on the the inputs of the two filters above. (Example: sort by last name in ascending order if the “RED tie and packed lunch” options are selected. But sort by first name descending if the “BLUE tie and packed lunch” options are selected.)

Can AppSheet do this?

1 4 371
  • UX
4 REPLIES 4

Without leaving the dashboard to go to another view, there is no way to dynamically change the sorting parameters based on selections in other views of a dashboard.

Keep in mind that the user can sort a table view however they want, just by clicking on the column headers.

How about if you add a detail view with a quick editable field + virtual column… then you could sort the table view depending on the virtual column’s value.

That’s a good idea @Aleksi

Though I can’t imagine how one would construct the expression for the VC to output the sort order based on the selected filter/sort items. That seems difficult.

It doesn’t need to be complex… think about a virtual column that has a formula like…
SWITCH([Sort Selection],
ColumnA,[ColumnA],
ColumnB,[ColumnB],
[ColumnC])

Now if you sort the view with the virtual column, it will have different values depending on what you have selected for the “Sort Selection” column.

Top Labels in this Space