Deadlines on calendars

Hello there dream team,

Iโ€™ve been reading a lot about the calendar view and the integration with Google Calendarโ€ฆ
I have an app with a few date fields where we schedule deadlines for certain tasks.
Iโ€™ve found out how to see these dates on the calendar view, but I would like to also get notifications when close to these deadlines.

Would the integration with google calendar take care of this?

Thank you very much as always!!!

0 16 1,047
  • UX
16 REPLIES 16

Hi Cabelo,

You can create a scheduled report in the app definition that runs daily. The condition for this report could be something like this:

hours([Deadline] - today()) < 24

You can set this schedule report to be sent as a popup notificaiton, sms or email.

For more details check out this article: https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/961724-reports

Thank you @Rich
I will try that tomorrow!
Is there anyway to make that work offline?

@Rich

I assume that โ€œDeadlineโ€ in your example is the name of the Column right?

When I try your formula at the โ€œIf this is trueโ€ condition on the reports section, it doesnโ€™t calculate columns. Am I putting the formula in the wrong place or am I doing the formula wrong?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Do you mean they are all calculating as false when you test the formula?

@Rich

Not it doesnโ€™t find any column I try it gives me the same message of not being able to find it. It also says the โ€œformula is not evaluated in the context of a rowโ€, not sure if that is whyโ€ฆ
Iโ€™m doing the expression at the condition โ€œif this is trueโ€ part of the reportโ€ฆ

@Arthur, thanks I will also try that but so fat Iโ€™m still struggling with the formula for the column as mentioned aboveโ€ฆ thanks!!

Thank you!!!

@Cabelo Can you try the following?
TOTALHOURS([Deadline] - TODAY()) < 24

@Rich and @Arthur_Rallu

Attached you will find the message I get when trying both.

Thanks for any help!

Can you make sure this column exists in the table youโ€™re considering.
One way to do that, in that same pop-up where you entered your formula, go to the โ€˜Columnsโ€™ tab (underneath the formula). Make sure that your โ€˜Deposit Due Dateโ€™ is among the Examples (on the right).

If the column youโ€™re looking for is there, click on the โ€˜Insertโ€™ next to it and that will add it to your formula (while avoiding typos).
If itโ€™s not there, that means that you might be setting up a workflow for a different table.

Thanks @Arthur_Rallu
What you just taught will change the way I write expressions forever it is a lot quicker than to go back on the app and look for the column names. But it still does not find the columns, and I tried inserting different ones.
Doesnโ€™t it have anything to do with the โ€œโ€ฆcolumn values are not availableโ€ message?

You cannot use direct column references in the expression here. Thatโ€™s what the โ€œThis formula is not evaluated in the context of a row, so column values are not availableโ€ message means (n.b., @Arthur_Rallu).

Your report is probably currently configured to run against the entire table:

2X_1_11424fd695c2d114cbb688f36c14c16acc0409a4.png

With ForEntireTable, there is no one row from which to pull column values: when your expression references a column, AppSheet doesnโ€™t know which row in the table you want the value from.

Instead, you probably want ForEachRowInTable:

2X_c_c09be55c7c6fa4ada2535f0336dc6df6c7722e6e.png

With this setting, the report will be run separately for each row in the table, and the expression can then reference the columns of each row directly.

Thanks @Steve

I will try that!

I thought that this would generate one report for each row and that thought scared the hell out of meโ€ฆ

Thatโ€™s exactly what it will do.

Thanks @Steve

Okay, fair enough that is actually not too bad as long as the formula accepts multiple columns for each row report!!!

Thanks!!!

Thanks @Steve! Spot on!

Thanks @Arthur_Rallu @Steve @Rich

It works like a charm, and I learned a lot!
Will the reports work under the schedule on a paid plan before the app is deployed?
I have it for app notifications, not for emails. Any chances it will work off-line?

Now I want to try to make the โ€œDeadlinesโ€ slice to show up in a Calendar View as well!
I will come back with any questions.

Thanks a lot lot lot!!!

Cheers

I donโ€™t know, myself.

All workflows are done by the server. Consequently, nothing done by a workflow can be initiated by an offline app, nor will a workflow have any effect on an app that is offline. Once the app returns online, it can interact with workflows.

Top Labels in this Space