Delivery App with SMS back to App

TJCobb

Iโ€™ve created a delivery app for our company. The driver gets a text message when a new delivery is entered. Everything is working great except for one tiny little thing. Iโ€™m having difficulty trying to figure out how the driver can click a link in the message to either a) go to the app, or b) go directly to the record. Either one is fine.

Iโ€™ve gone through and read every โ€œSMSโ€, โ€œSMS Templateโ€, โ€œWorkflowโ€ discussion and AppSheet documentation I could find and Iโ€™m not seeing a general step-by-step guide how to put the pieces together. I know, I know, stop laughing, thereโ€™s probably no step-by-step guide. But still. I get that thereโ€™s a template that gets stored on my Google Drive. But Iโ€™m wondering if someone can just supply a screenshot of a template that does exactly what Iโ€™m looking for from their app. Thatโ€™s all I need. Hopefully, once I see it, everything will just click <<< no pun intended.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

1 7 302
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @TJCobb

Have you looked at:

To go to the app you could use a deeplink like: LINKTOAPP(<>)

Sample app https://www.appsheet.com/samples/How-to-link-between-different-parts-of-an-app?appGuidString=102df0e...

Hi James, thank you for the reply. I can see how LINKTOAPP works within an Action. Iโ€™m just not sure how to make it work within the context of a SMS. Can you (or anyone) share a screenshot of how to get a text message to link back to the app?

Iโ€™ve tried using LINKTOROW( row-key , view-name [ , app-id ] ) per the link you provided above, substituting my info of course, and placing it into a txt document on Google Docs, then linking it as a template. Iโ€™m just not sure if it needs html code, or whatever, which is why Iโ€™d like to see a sample.

Thank you again for your time. I appreciate it.

Hi TJ,

Have you tried using a hyperlink:

Blockquote{
โ€œcountryโ€: โ€œ1โ€,
โ€œmessageโ€: โ€œSMS MESSAGEโ€,
โ€œmessageFormatโ€: 1,
โ€œaddresseeListโ€: [
{
โ€œmobileโ€: โ€œPHONEโ€,
โ€œcorrelationLabelโ€: โ€œChatiemosโ€,
โ€œurlโ€: โ€œhttps://wa.me/<>?text=HOW ARE YOU DOINGโ€
},
]
}

I am using this to send sms, it has a url that is sent. You could use EncodeUrl to points to the form.

Hi James,

I have not tried that but I will. Thank you for your time. Itโ€™s much appreciated.

i had a similar situation and ended up using.
<<_ROW_WEB_URL>>

i have 2 text messagesโ€ฆ1st is notifying what was submitted
and 2nd is just
<<_ROW_WEB_URL>>

the link is long and you are limited so canโ€™t have too many characters

<<_ROW_WEB_URL>> creates a too long string for a SMS message and provided userโ€™s courier truncates the SMS (normally it shall be 160 chars long including spaces and punctuations etc.), the URL link will not work. Therefore I may advise using a URL shortener service as a REST API i.e Bitly

Has onyone been succesful in getting this to work?

Top Labels in this Space