Dependent column with ref type

Iโ€™ve got a specific problem and couldnโ€™t find the answer in related topicsโ€ฆ

My data looks like this:

• Agencies (with columns like: agency ID, agency name etc.)
  • Clients (with columns like: client ID, client name, agency name etc.)
  • Orders (with columns like: order ID, Client name, Agency name, order details etc.)

Any client belongs to an agency. When someone creates an order I managed to build a form where order ID is not shown and is created automatically. Agency name is a dropdown of reference type and refers to โ€˜Agency nameโ€™ with the agency ID as key and agency name as label. Client name is also a dropdown of reference type and refers to โ€˜Clientsโ€™ with the client ID as key and Client name as label. However, to avoid wrong input, the available Client names in the dropdown should depend on the input of the Agency name.

I tried several formulas in the Valid If area of the Client names column in the Orders table but nothing worked so farโ€ฆ

Hope you guys can help me out here.

Solved Solved
0 5 246
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you,

In that case, does an expression something like below help in the valid_if of Client Name column in Orders table

SELECT(Clients[client [ID], [agency ID]=[_THISROW].[agency ID])

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Donny_rep,

Welcome to the AppSheet community.

Could you please add if the Clients table references Agencies table?

Thanks Suvvrutt_Gurjar!

Yes, the Clients table does have a reference to Agency because every client belongs to an agency. Thus, the Clients table consist of a column called โ€˜agency nameโ€™ (this was not mentioned in the description so just added this), referring to the agency name column in the Agency table.

Thank you,

In that case, does an expression something like below help in the valid_if of Client Name column in Orders table

SELECT(Clients[client [ID], [agency ID]=[_THISROW].[agency ID])

Thanks Suvrutt_Gurjar!

Saw this expression somewhere else earlier, but it didnโ€™t work in my situation. Applying it to my situation and seeing your expression helped me to understand the expression. I only needed to change the last columnname because โ€˜agency IDโ€™ is called different in the Order table.

Thanks again.

Great , thank you for the update.

Just in case you have not yet taken a look at the following article, you may wish to take a look at the usage of [_THISROW]

Top Labels in this Space