Dereference - Error In Expression

Hi

I have 2 sheets:

1. Session Documentation
  2. Journal

I am trying to dereference a column [Session Description] in Session Documentation. I have used the dereference in App Forumula [Session Description].[Session Documentation] and I get a โ€œError in Expressionโ€ error note.

0 5 623
5 REPLIES 5

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

From the information youโ€™ve given us, Iโ€™d have to guess thereโ€™s an error in your expression.

Can you provide any more information? Perhaps a screenshot of the error? Of the expression? Is the Session Description column of the Ref type?

Sorry Steve, yes it was a little vague, my apologies.

Ok so the message reads:

Column Name โ€˜Session Descriptionโ€™ in Schema โ€™ Coaching_Schemaโ€™ of Column Type โ€˜Refโ€™ has an invalid app formula โ€˜=[Session Description].[Session Documentation]โ€™. Error in expression โ€˜[Session Description].[Session Documentation]โ€™ : Unable to find column โ€˜Session Documentationโ€™

It would appear the table referenced by the Session Description column does not contain a column named Session Documentation.

What table does Session Description reference?
2X_5_501892e93c56aa90f4cf6e77a457dc958feae5f1.png

Session Description column appears in both Session Documentation and in Coaching.

Session Description refers to Session Documentation table.

Okay. Your expression:

[Session Description].[Session Documentation]

means:

1. Using the value of the Session Description column ([Session Description]), find the row in the Session Documentation table (because thatโ€™s the columnโ€™s โ€œsource tableโ€, the table it refers to) with the key column value that matches.

2. From the row found in the Session Documentation table, get the value of that rowโ€™s Session Documentation column (.[Session Documentation]).

According to the error, though, the Session Documentation table does not itself have a Session Documentation column. Perhaps you want some other columnโ€™s value?

Top Labels in this Space