Dropdowns & Google Sheets I was setting up an...

Dropdowns & Google Sheets I was setting up an app which includes both dependent and nondependent/regular dropdowns. I had put multiple dropdown lists on a single sheet. I discovered that AS assumed they were dependent. Does anyone know: is there magic somewhere I can โ€œturn offโ€ in this case, or is it all under the hood somewhere? I was trying to be economical with sheets, but maybe thatโ€™s unnecessary? Perhaps itโ€™s always best to have a tab/sheet for each dropdown, dependent or otherwise? Just trying to understand underlying operations/priorities a bit better. Thanks!

0 8 927
8 REPLIES 8

Hi Personally I dont use dropdowns in my sheets (unless Im doing queries outside of the app), but let Appsheet do all that work

behind the scenes. appsheet.com - Customer Support - AppSheet Customer Support - AppSheet appsheet.com

Hi Keith, never put independent dropdown lists into the same sheet when you are using AppSheet. Each sheet maps to a table in your app, which is supposed to model a coherent set of identically structured entities.

Ah thanks Praveen, thatโ€™s probably a good way to look at it. Lynn, I think you misunderstood/I didnโ€™t write unambiguously. I meant the lists from which Appsheet constructs itโ€™s dropdowns are on a sheet. I didnโ€™t mean the sheet had dropdowns. Anyway, thanks for the comment.

@Aleksi_Alkio has a good alternative approach to manage dropdown lists as well

If you want to avoid the dependent, instead of using Table[Column] formula, you can use SELECT(Table[Column],TRUE).

If you want to read values from one cell, you can do that also. Create and virtual column with SELECT(Table[ColumnB],[ColumnA]=โ€œDropdownNameโ€). If the name of the virtual column is like DROPDOWN_LIST, you can call that list in Valid_If like [DROPDOWN_LIST].

Aleksi, Iโ€™ll have to play with it to understand what exactly youโ€™re suggesting, but just reading it I canโ€™t tell what advantage it offers (this is only a comment on my familiarity with the platform of course). Can you briefly explain?

If you use SELECT(โ€ฆ) for your dropdowns, you can have all variables on the same tab and no need to create a lot of tabs into the spreadsheet.

The 2nd sample give you the choice to fill everything into one cellโ€ฆ like Option#1 , Option#2 , Option#3 , โ€ฆOption#12. For the user itโ€™s much easier to change values from one cell than opening all records one by one with the app. If you have lot of variables you need small table and itโ€™s easy to maintain.

Thanks Aleksi: are there any example apps using this strategy? I think Iโ€™m still missing something. Do you know if there are performance trade-offs? I just moved all my drop-down lists (there are 6 or so and Iโ€™ll be adding more, several dependent) to a separate workbook, and deleting unnecessary columns/rows as suggested by the โ€œminimizing sync timeโ€ article. I canโ€™t tell if your suggestion amounts to an enum list or somethingโ€ฆ Is it written up anywhere else? If Iโ€™m asking for too much help here, donโ€™t worry about it, Iโ€™ll figure it out later if necessary, hopefully.

Top Labels in this Space