Duplicating the Settings view cannot be undone

I duplicated my Settings view to test something out and now I can't delete it.  The duplicate appears in the app (which is confusing my users) but it doesn't appear in the editor which means I can't delete it.  I've tried deleting the original Settings view but it didn't work.  Is this a bug or am I missing something?

1 15 408
15 REPLIES 15

good

It's a known bug. I have an open case and it still not yet fixed after 6 weeks.

Make sure your users have the latest app version. 

If you are using "Stabile" builds, you need to promote the updated version as the new "Stabile" version. 

Regardless, users must tap the Sync button to get the latest version.  Normal app usage may not trigger an actual app version update so make certain the users are explicitly tapping the Sync button to get the most recent version.

The issue is that I can't delete the view, regardless of the app version.

@Jordan_Davis1 wrote:

The duplicate appears in the app (which is confusing my users) but it doesn't appear in the editor which means I can't delete it.

Based on this comment, I took it to mean that you DID delete the view previously so no longer have it in editor to try to remove again.   I realize now I was reading too much between the lines!

Obviously, a bug!   

Could you roll back to a version prior to adding the test Settings view?

Unfortunately no, I've made too many changes already.

I see.  I would contact AppSheet support to see if they can remove the view for you on their end.

Thanks

Can you describe how you created this "duplicate" view.

I played around a little and I am unable to create a view of the same name at all. 

If I have a visible UserSettings value such that the system Settings view is shown, the new view I create from a Settings table doesn't allow me to create a view named "Settings".  It is automatically changed to "Settings 2.

On the other hand, if I have no visible UserSettings, the view I attempt to create is immediately deleted and I have NO Settings view shown at all.

I am not able to get to a state where I have 2 Settings view showing but have no physical view definition in the app list of views.

Select your Settings view in the editor, go to the three dots at the top right and click duplicate.  You won't see the duplicate view in the editor but if you save and load your app, go to the menu and you should see two gear icons (the default Settings icon) instead of one.

@Jordan_Davis1 : please take a look at the below post

Solved: Accidentally Copied Setting's View - Google Cloud Community

Edit:  Hi @JuneCorpuz ,

You may want to give it s try for your issue as well. Please simply delete the "settings" view till the duplicate views disappear.

Hello @Suvrutt_Gurjar thank you for tagging me. But unfortunately, it's not working on my end. 

As you can see, there's 'Company' in the label of my User Settings but it's not visible in the list of columns

JuneCorpuz_0-1684941128765.png

And here, you will see that it shows the 'Company' field in the UX

JuneCorpuz_2-1684941189317.png

And it keeps coming back even I delete the User Settings view.

Thank you @JuneCorpuz for the revert.

From your description, it sounds that your issue is slightly different. You have issue of a column or field incorrectly showing in user settings view.

My suggestion was about getting rid of  the entire duplicate user " Settings" view itself.

Yes, what I did is I copied the app and it started to return an error with the User Settings in new app. It seems that having a separate table for User Settings table in Google Sheets is better than the User Settings in the editor.

Yes, true. Even though a bit tedious,  a "homegrown" or "self made" users' table is useful at times. 

The default user settings also do not work under certain automation configurations as the following post mentions

Error referencing User Settings in automation - Google Cloud Community

Top Labels in this Space