Dynamic form with Show field

Hello,

I am trying to create a form with some Show fields configured as page_header.
I have several blocks of show fields followed by data fields.
I would like to see these blocks on the same page or on different pages depending a formula.
If configured as show_header, every blocks is on a different page, I have no clue if it is possible to change the layout depending a formula to have for example 2 blocks on the first page and 4 on the second…
Any help will be very appreciated
Thank you very much

Best regards.

0 15 1,479
15 REPLIES 15

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

What is a “block”?

I believe he’s referring to the grouping of a Header and its related fields as a single block.

I don’t believe this is supported. A show field separates columns but there is no concept of grouping show and related columns and moving them around. Why do you need it this way?

a block is a group of few fields (5 in my app)
A show field with page header configuration group all the following fields, if you have a show if condition that hide the show field, all the following fields up to the next show will be hidden…
The next show field will be displayed on the next page…
Here I would like to play with the “page break” behaviour of the show field…

The ability to show & hide a “block” using Show_If is limited to pages only; you cannot use Show_If to show & hide sections within a page, unfortunately.

To show & hide multiple columns within a single page (or across pages) according to a single condition, you’d have to give each column the same Show_If expression.

In your original post:

It sounds like you may want the same column to appear on one page/section/block in some circumstances, but on another page/section/block in other circumstances. This isn’t possible: a column can only occur in one location within a form.

Hi, thank you for your answers, I think I am not clear enough on what I want to do.
I will try to explain another way…

if condition A
column 1 - show page header (page break)
column 2 - text field
column 3 - text field
column 4 - show page header (page break)
column 5 - text field
column 6 - text field

if condition B
column 2 - text field
column 3 - text field
column 4 - show section header (no page break)
column 5 - text field
column 6 - text field

in condition A, the fields are displayed on 2 pages,
in condition B, everything is display on the same page
Do you see a way of doing that ?

Thanks for your help

I don’t see a way to do this. The occurrence of a show page header will grab all columns that follow up to the next show page header. There’s no way to disable the show page header without also hiding everything on that page.

Unless you can determine condition A or B before entering the form. If so, you might be able to use an action to direct the user to a slice with the desired layout.

As righly guided by @Steve, there is no direct way to do this as per my understanding as well.

You may give the following workaround a try - it involves creation one more column, two slices and two views - one each for condition A and B.

New set of columns

column 2 - text field
column 3 - text field
column 5 - show section header (no page break) ( This is additional column that needs to be added)
column 7 - text field
column 8 - text field

Slice for condition A
This is a slice without any row filter conditions , just one less column-5
(Exclude column 5 -section header in this slice)
column 2 - text field
column 3 - text field
column 7 - text field
column 8- text field

Slice for condition B
This is a slice without any row filter conditions , just one less column-4
(Exclude column 4- page header in this slice)
column 2 - text field
column 3 - text field
column 5 - show section header (no page break) ( This is additional column)
column 7 - text field
column 8 - text field

Then please create two form views on these two slices and use “Show_if” condition setting of those views to show the views alternately on condition A for view with first slice and condition B for view with second slice.

@Suvrutt_Gurjar Are you implying the “additional columns” are Text columns used as the “Section Header”? Maybe a read only Text column with UX Format Rules applied?

Hi @WillowMobileSystems,
The additional column is of show type and category of section header.

There is only one additional column at position 5, I mean after column (number) 4 of page header type.

Oh right. I’ve never used the Section header and forgot they were even there. But that’s why we have a Community!!

I fully agree with you- this is a great community. We all get lot of of insights on a daily basis.

I would like to thank you puting your brains in stress to help me resolving this challenge.

@Suvrutt_Gurjar it is a great idea but I have 50 blocks of 4/5 columns, so il will multiply the number of slices !

Thanks for your help

Hi @Pascal_Hierckens,

Thank you for the update. Yes, you are correct. I agree that it is impractical to have so many slices and condition combinations in views.

Hi @Pascal_Hierckens,

Just thought of mentioning a point that more than number blocks, I believe number of possible conditions will decide how many slices you need. If you need to manage say 4 different combinations, then you will need 4 slices and views. Of course , if you have as many multiple conditions as blocks, then the approach is not feasible.

Top Labels in this Space