Email summary when updating table entries via .CSV upload

Hello, I have an automation setup whereby when an entry is added through my form view it sends a notification to the user with a summary of their input. There is also another Table view where the user can upload multiple entries via a .csv template but when this happens app sheet sends individual emails for each entry on the .csv sheet they uploaded. I can't seem to figure out how I can set it to send only 1 email with a summary of their entries when it's done via the .csv upload. Any suggestions appreciated

0 7 193
7 REPLIES 7

You need to differentiate between rows that are added by CSV upload versus any other way rows can be added.  I have not needed to perform an automated CSV uploads so I am unfamiliar with how much control the automation has.  What I would try to do is have a column, maybe named [CSV Uploaded?], that is set when the rows are added from a CSV.  When the CSV upload process completes, the run a step or trigger another Bot to generate the summary email with all of the CSV uploaded rows included.  Then reset [CSV Uploaded?] so the rows are not included in future CSV uploads.  

The current bot would also need updated to included criteria such as NOT([CSV Uploaded?]).

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestion, I have currently got round it by just having scheduled email notifications with Expressions to only show them their entries

The approach @WillowMobileSys described was similar to what I was thinking also.

Then, I got to thinking what if multiple users uploaded files concurrently. I believe the approach should work most of the time unless you have a huge number of users or really large number of rows to upload. (it might still work even then!)

So if you ever encounter a problem with this approach, then an alternative is to create a multiple temporary upload tables so there are no conflicts among users. I did a POC and seems to work fine. But it is more involved to implement and recommend the first approach if it works for you!

(EDITED: After more testing, unless QuckSync is enabled, it does not work very well...too bad)

(EDITED 2: Too many potential issues with my idea. Please forget it.)

(EDITED 3: There are ways around them so no data corruptions would occur by using VALID-IF and Apps Script, but UI still isn't very good. They all come from slow sync/db updates. I cannot find 'good' solutions at this stage. Multi user apps can be a pain in the neck sometimes with AppSheet if it is required to see other people's updates immediately.)

@TeeSee1 wrote:

Then, I got to thinking what if multiple users uploaded files concurrently.

If this is a concern, then simply tag each row with a unique identifier used only by that instance of the upload process...instead of just a Yes/No value.  Then collect only those rows with that identifier in the notification step.  Rest remains the same.

Of course, all this depends on HOW the upload and notification processes are implemented.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've got a work around by just having scheduled email notifications with Expressions to only show them their entries

Just curious. What are the identifiers. I assume the up-loader's email is one. perhaps upload date? How often do you run the bot? once a day?

So my bot setup is as follows:

-Once a day to the Users who submit the entries (Will only show them their data)

-Three times a day to the department who will have actions on the back of these entries (These see all the data entries)

Top Labels in this Space