Embedded YouTube Videos freezing app + not playing

When I navigate from my app home screen in gallery view to an embedded YouTube video via an โ€œEventโ€, typically the first video plays normally, then if I navigate back to the home screen and click another video, either the whole app freezes, it may navigate to the next video but it wonโ€™t play and I canโ€™t go back like this:

!

Or the video doesnโ€™t render at all and it just shows a blank screen like this:

IMG_1044E0170CD4-1|666x500

0 19 1,069
19 REPLIES 19

also, when i use Vimeo to embed and i start the video, after i navigate back to the homescreen the video continues playing in the background. Very odd but i feel like there might be a simple way to solve this.

tony1

@Jake_Tunney Does the same issue happen on the desktop/web version of your app? Or does is it only on the device?

Mostly just on the iPad. On the web version the embedded video opens in a new tab. In the app it stays within Appsheet with my Appsheet nav still (usually) visible.

It will also sometimes freeze on the home screen. See below:

Then the app will just quit.

tony1

Adding @Gil to the thread.

Hi @Jake_Tunney,
Would you mind if I take a look in your app and try to reproduce this?
Also, which user was logged in while it happened?

Yes absolutely. It was either jake@givefit.net or jktunney5@gmail.com.

But I do think I made the app public so not sure if that matters. Let me know what you need from me to get it. Itโ€™s โ€œChair Fitness Videos by GiveFitโ€.

@Jake_Tunney,
It seems like a the app crashes after going back and forth between the video page and the back to the app itself.
Weโ€™ll try to fix it, but it may take some time.
As a work around, you could set your url column to Launch Externally. This will cause the video to open in Safari instead of in-app, and should avoid this crash.

Hi @Gil thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look.

Are you able to give me an estimate of how long will take to fix?

For those kind of things itโ€™s hard to know how long will it take until itโ€™s done.
To be completely honest, this issue is not on our highest priority since itโ€™s specific to iOS + external content.
Let me know if the workaround worked for you.

The workaround works as it says, however for my UX it doesnโ€™t do the job. I need the user to stay within the app.

Thanks for your honesty on timing. How will I know this is fixed? I have to look at other app builder solutions in the meantime.

Also, do you have a suggestion where I might host my videos to display them in app? Where they arenโ€™t โ€œexternal contentโ€? Like an AWS link in my spreadsheet database?

@Jake_Tunney,
Yeah, I can see why opening the video in Safari is not the behavior youโ€™d want.
When Iโ€™ll have a fix Iโ€™ll let you know here.
By external content I mean every thing that is opened via a url that is not marked โ€œLaunch externallyโ€ (I know this terminology might be a bit confusing). The problem is in the screen the video opens in not with the video itself.
You could use a video column, but the video wonโ€™t play on fullscreen, so thatโ€™s probably not gonna work for you.

Thanks, I really appreciate the communication!

Do you have a reference for adding a video column? Is this simply just displaying the video inline? If so, and I could style the video to fill up the whole screen, except for the Appsheet nav, that would work.

Any update @Gil?

Unfortunately not yet, but itโ€™s on my todo list.

Hi @Jake_Tunney,
Sorry for taking my time on this one.
This should be fixed now if you have the latest app version from the app store.

Top Labels in this Space