Enumlist - Sheet with multiple values per cell

Hello allโ€ฆ

First I want to thank this community for the prompt and helpful responses that I have received to previous questions.

I have a google sheet that I want to create an app for. The main problem with this sheet is that some of the columns have multiple values per cell - they have been populated by a multi-select form and all of the selected responses have been inserted into a single row/column. From a traditional DB perspective this doesnโ€™t work too well. These values are currently separated by a period (.).

As trying to rework the structure of this google sheet would be a particularly tricky exercise I want to see if there are any options to work with the data in Appsheet using the current structure. I am aware of the ENUMLIST data type in Appsheet which would appear to be compatible to the data in the sheet. The question is: Is there any way for Appsheet to recognise the multiple values in these cells? For example if they were separated a a semi-colon ( or a comma (,) would Appsheet recognise these multiple values.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. If you want to tell me to restructure the sheet I am looking at that as a (very) last resort.

Thanks,

RoryF

Solved Solved
0 8 930
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @Rory_Forde

You can go there:
3X_6_d_6da18a1e40d042335762ba53faf6fcbd81d52933.png
And in the base type Details Section:
Go to โ€œItem separatorโ€, and set your comma, dot, or any separator you are facing:

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @Rory_Forde

You can go there:
3X_6_d_6da18a1e40d042335762ba53faf6fcbd81d52933.png
And in the base type Details Section:
Go to โ€œItem separatorโ€, and set your comma, dot, or any separator you are facing:

Wowโ€ฆ if that works I will need to buy someone a beerโ€ฆ

One question - do I need to add the values to the ENUMLIST manually - its not a problem just wonderingโ€ฆ

RoryF

Normally not with this option
3X_e_3_e311036cecd131301454c275520c65f99332478c.png

I will try that.

One last question if I mayโ€ฆ

I see that one such column uses a โ€œnew lineโ€ (I think it is new line - 2nd value is on 2nd line within the same cell) - not sure if its CR or LF - as the separator. Would you know how to use that as the separator?

Really appreciate the time you are taking with this,

RoryF

@Rory_Forde no idea, unfortunately.
I believe this is a common issue.
I would suggest trying to substitute it directly in the Sheets with an array formula, it could be easier to deal with later.

Just in case, I call on rescue @Steve , the expression magician

I will test all of that later Aurelienโ€ฆ

Thanks so much for your time. I will let you know how it works out and mark the posts then.

RoryF

All of that workedโ€ฆ

And as an added bonus is looks like the issue with the CR/LF is a non-issue - Appsheet picked up both lines (maybe it sees the value as a single entry and just includes the CR/LF in the record).

Sooo happy - you saved me so much timeโ€ฆ

Roryf

Great !
Can you share how it was and how it went out ? (screenshots)

Top Labels in this Space