Enumlist - Sheet with multiple values per cell

Hello all…

First I want to thank this community for the prompt and helpful responses that I have received to previous questions.

I have a google sheet that I want to create an app for. The main problem with this sheet is that some of the columns have multiple values per cell - they have been populated by a multi-select form and all of the selected responses have been inserted into a single row/column. From a traditional DB perspective this doesn’t work too well. These values are currently separated by a period (.).

As trying to rework the structure of this google sheet would be a particularly tricky exercise I want to see if there are any options to work with the data in Appsheet using the current structure. I am aware of the ENUMLIST data type in Appsheet which would appear to be compatible to the data in the sheet. The question is: Is there any way for Appsheet to recognise the multiple values in these cells? For example if they were separated a a semi-colon ( or a comma (,) would Appsheet recognise these multiple values.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. If you want to tell me to restructure the sheet I am looking at that as a (very) last resort.

Thanks,

RoryF

Solved Solved
0 8 840
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @Rory_Forde

You can go there:
3X_6_d_6da18a1e40d042335762ba53faf6fcbd81d52933.png
And in the base type Details Section:
Go to “Item separator”, and set your comma, dot, or any separator you are facing:

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @Rory_Forde

You can go there:
3X_6_d_6da18a1e40d042335762ba53faf6fcbd81d52933.png
And in the base type Details Section:
Go to “Item separator”, and set your comma, dot, or any separator you are facing:

Wow… if that works I will need to buy someone a beer…

One question - do I need to add the values to the ENUMLIST manually - its not a problem just wondering…

RoryF

Normally not with this option
3X_e_3_e311036cecd131301454c275520c65f99332478c.png

I will try that.

One last question if I may…

I see that one such column uses a “new line” (I think it is new line - 2nd value is on 2nd line within the same cell) - not sure if its CR or LF - as the separator. Would you know how to use that as the separator?

Really appreciate the time you are taking with this,

RoryF

@Rory_Forde no idea, unfortunately.
I believe this is a common issue.
I would suggest trying to substitute it directly in the Sheets with an array formula, it could be easier to deal with later.

Just in case, I call on rescue @Steve , the expression magician

I will test all of that later Aurelien…

Thanks so much for your time. I will let you know how it works out and mark the posts then.

RoryF

All of that worked…

And as an added bonus is looks like the issue with the CR/LF is a non-issue - Appsheet picked up both lines (maybe it sees the value as a single entry and just includes the CR/LF in the record).

Sooo happy - you saved me so much time…

Roryf

Great !
Can you share how it was and how it went out ? (screenshots)

Top Labels in this Space