Expression In action Works In Test Only

Ami
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Hello

I have created an action to set some columnsโ€ฆ
When i test my expression i can see it works, however, when i run my action nothing happens. Iโ€™m using a slice that has the same issue, when i test my slice i see results, but when i view it there is nothing there.

My result for the action

0 9 442
9 REPLIES 9

Hi @1111
There does not appear to be anything in the [GuardPatrolID] column. Also is it [GuardPatrolID]
or [GuardPatrol ID] with a space?

The expression result value should be in the Guard Patrol ID column

Ok , have you tried ANY(SELECTโ€ฆ?

I am curious, is it normal to have different wording between what is shown on the top of the expression tester with the table name? I saw a โ€œspaceโ€.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Please post a screenshot of the action configuration.

Please also post a screenshot of the sliceโ€™s row filter expression.

My sliceโ€™s expression was:
AND([DATE]=TODAY(),[FINISH PATROL]=TRUE)

I ended up using something else as i realized that [FINISH PATROL]=TRUE was not really calculating

AND([DATE]=TODAY(),ISBLANK([FINISH PATROL])=FALSE)

However, i also found that if i use a number instead of a true/false it works:

AND([DATE]=TODAY(),[FINISH PATROL]=1)

Data types - they make all the difference.

Usually i get a warning about wrong data types, in this case there were no signs

There are a few instances where the expression builders preview results will be different than what the actual app shows.

This is due to the fact that the expression builder is something thatโ€™s running on the AppSheet editor - while the formula for your app is being run by your app. They have different parsing mechanisms - there was a detailed post about this years ago by Phil I think.

Generally itโ€™s just a matter of reformulating your formulas - thankfully, in AppSheet there isโ€ฆ

If this is the formula youโ€™re working with - the issue most likely is due to the fact that in your tables youโ€™ve got two columns that have the same name:

• [SITEEMAIL]

I would suggest changing the names of these columns so the uniquely identify each from another:

• Daily_Guard_Patrol_Site_Email
  • Other_Table_Site_Email

Generally speaking, itโ€™s best to have all the columns in your app have unique names.

Try changing the names and see if that works, your formula is pretty straight-forward, so it doesnโ€™t look like itโ€™s a matter of a complicated formula. I recently went round and round for hours trying to solve a workflow issue - problem was due to identical column names.

Top Labels in this Space