Expression bug - Number divided by Number calculation

We have reported this bug to the AppSheet team, but I wished to share with the community, as it may have impact on your running apps.

In the AppSheet expression,  Number divided by Number is always returns Number, ignoring the decimal parts.  However, we noticed this is not TRUE for the moment.

When we pass the exprssion to normal column and in case the calculation is indivisible, then now we are seeing the decimal result instead of number.   Passing the same expression to Virtual Column is returning the result in Number (as before).

We are observing the gap between Client/Server side calculations.

Obviously something has been changed in AppSheet expression Engine recently.

@takuya_miyai 

@Steve 

@Suvrutt_Gurjar 

4 8 178
8 REPLIES 8

Hi @Koichi_Tsuji ,

Thank you for bringing this to attention. Are you still observing the behavior?

I tried to replicate the behavior with a VC and a real column and I could not see difference.  Both real column and VC return number result without decimals.

Maybe I am missing some point in your description or test condition.

We shared sample app with AppSheet team to assist debugging. This is from that app.

2022-03-16_16-25-32.png2022-03-16_16-26-20.gif

Hi @Koichi_Tsuji ,

Yes your observation is correct under certain condition. If the result column type is decimal, there is a discrepancy in result between real column and VC.

There is a difference between value returned by VC and real column. VC return 3 and real column 3.33 when [Num1]=10 is divided by  [Num2] =3 and both [Result] and [Result in VC] are decimal type.

My earlier testing was based on result columns being number type and not decimal type, when both the result columns returned 3 for 10/3

Okey thanks. Anyway this is absolutely a bug. Or if we avoid to use the term of big, there is significant change in Appsheet expression engine as I state. 

I fully agree with you @Koichi_Tsuji . If there is a difference between VC and real column calculations, then it is a bug for sure. Request you to let us know the reply from the AppSheet team.

Will do, but so far, no update from them.

@Suvrutt_Gurjar 

Unfortunately, nil update from support desk. They are gone quiet from the beginning. I nevr got update. Shame.

Thank you very much @Koichi_Tsuji  for the update. I was about to post requesting for the update. The bug is definitely a serious one.

Top Labels in this Space