Filter a dropdown depending on data from another table

Hello. 

Iยดm builgind a code generator app. 

I select Client, Project, and then GEO and SEGMENT.

I have information on each of this tables, and I need to add new items to any of them at any time.

And what I need is to select Project (which brings Client), and then I want to see a dropdown with only the GEO codes related to that project. I try the tutorial on dependent dropdowns, but as I have a lot of info in each table, and I need to add information to each one at any time, that doesยดn seem to be the solution.

I need something as a filter or a select... but I cannot find the way after trying and reading a lot.

Thanks.

Solved Solved
0 2 100
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello, thanks for your answer. 

I read a lot more about this and this drive me to the solution:
FILTER(Geo,[Proyecto]=[_THISROW].[Proyecto])
This is placed in the valid_if and it brings me the list filtered of Geo that belongs to a specific project.

I understand what you mean about selecting client before project. But as we all talk about projects, the client is just a reference after we assign it the first time.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

We need more clarity on your requirements to propose what you could do.

However guessing from what you have described so far, assuming the following, I would still suggest that you use dependent dropdown.

Project selection determines/constrains GEOS (a project row has a GEO ref column)

GEO selection, Segments. (a GEO has a Segment ref column)

"to select Project (which brings Client)" suggests that you first select a project, not the other way around.

Based on the above, set the following expressions in the suggested values. 

// For GEO
FILTER("GEO", 
 IF(ISBLANK([_THISROW].[Project]), TRUE, [Project] = [_THISROW].[Project])
)

// For SEGMENT
FILTER("SEGMENT", 
 IF(ISBLANK([_THISROW].[GEO]), TRUE, [GEO] = [_THISROW].[GEO])
)

If you first select a client and then a project, which to me seems more natural then

// For Project
FILTER("Project", 
 IF(ISBLANK([_THISROW].[Client]), TRUE, [Client] = [_THISROW].[Client])
)

Maybe you want to share us an image of your screen that you have created so far.

Hello, thanks for your answer. 

I read a lot more about this and this drive me to the solution:
FILTER(Geo,[Proyecto]=[_THISROW].[Proyecto])
This is placed in the valid_if and it brings me the list filtered of Geo that belongs to a specific project.

I understand what you mean about selecting client before project. But as we all talk about projects, the client is just a reference after we assign it the first time.

Thanks!

Top Labels in this Space