Filter data in public app

Hello friends, is there a way to filter data in a public app? In a private app, for example with a starter or core plan, USEREMAIL() can be used
I don't know if there is an option to filter data that a user enters having previously logged in with Usersetting and password
I would appreciate your answers

Solved Solved
0 9 381
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Gustavo_Eduardo wrote:

I have a user table with email and password

Wrong way Gustavo

View solution in original post

"How to do the thing that I'm not allowed to do in a Public app?"

Obviously, you don't.

You should never be setting up any homemade username/password login setup. Not in usersettings, not in your tables. 

Security Filters don't work in Public apps.

@dbaum wrote:

only way to reliably authenticate users is via AppSheet's function designed for that purpose

Reliable... and legal, not breaking ToS

9 REPLIES 9

You can certainly reference user settings values in expressions for a security filter or a slice filter.

To be clear: controlling data access based on values entered in user settings is not equivalent to authenticating users via AppSheet's sign-in feature.

Perfect. Do you know any expression? For example, I have a user table with email and password. How would you create the expression? just an example

@dbaum wrote:

You can certainly reference user settings values in expressions for a security filter or a slice filter.

I'm not sure you can do this with a public app.

I have an app that doesn't use authentication but does pass the user name from the User Settings and when I do a Plan Requirements check it says that it can't be deployed under Publisher Pro because User Sign-in was not allowed.
I'm sure I found an article somewhere that stated that User Settings was included in/as authentication and therefore needed a Starter/Core subscription.

Could be wrong obvs!

You're right--at least with regard to security filters. I shouldn't have mentioned that since the question was about a public app.

AFAIK, it is possible to reference user settings and use slice filters in a public app. For example, I believe a typical use case would for users to select an app's language in a user settings column.

@TedM wrote:

I have an app that doesn't use authentication but does pass the user name from the User Settings and when I do a Plan Requirements check it says that it can't be deployed under Publisher Pro because User Sign-in was not allowed.

I'm not sure what that means. If the app doesn't use authentication, that means that its Require user sign-in property is disabled, in which case it shouldn't trigger the deployment check failure you mention. Maybe you're trying to use a function that depends on sign-in, such as USERNAME()...

As many of us noted, the main point is that the only way to reliably authenticate users is via AppSheet's function designed for that purpose, which requires certain subscription plans.

@Gustavo_Eduardo wrote:

I have a user table with email and password

Wrong way Gustavo

Thanks Oscar. I'm going to follow your advice and leave the app that I create with the security filters!

"How to do the thing that I'm not allowed to do in a Public app?"

Obviously, you don't.

You should never be setting up any homemade username/password login setup. Not in usersettings, not in your tables. 

Security Filters don't work in Public apps.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

@Gustavo_Eduardo wrote:

Hello friends, is there a way to filter data in a public app?

Nope, hence the word "public". The best you can do is use Filter out all existing rows?:

Steve_0-1675873733422.png

@dbaum wrote:

only way to reliably authenticate users is via AppSheet's function designed for that purpose

Reliable... and legal, not breaking ToS

Top Labels in this Space