Force smaller column width / Columns unnecessarily wide

Hi there. Iโ€™ve looked around and found a few others to ask similar questions, but what Iโ€™m looking for hasnโ€™t yet been answered as far as I can see.

Iโ€™ve read that โ€œSave and verifyโ€ should automatically make columns the exact correct width that is required to show data. However, on my relatively large phone screen, the lay-out of my tables is not what Iโ€™d like it to be. I also do NOT have horizontal scrolling enabled (which was also suggested in some topics). And please note, I am already on Column width: Narrow (I also tried the other options, which didnโ€™t really change anything).

Hereโ€™s an example:

2X_5_51c63b26f0fe09760e14347d5808043274c501ae.jpeg

What I would like is (I edited this with MS Paint :-P):

Any advice/tips/tricks are more than welcome!

Thanks!

EDIT: some deeper searching led me to this topic Truncation of columns: I have tried all the ... in which someone is experiencing problems with Formatted columns, saying that the icon/color causes problems with automatic column width. However, their column is getting truncated (too small, resulting in elipsisโ€ฆ), my problem is the opposite.

2 8 769
  • UX
8 REPLIES 8

Hi, try to use shorter display names with your columns and then Save & Verify.

Hi Aleksi, Thanks for your reply. The display names of my columns are super short (Date, Time, Title).

I would guess that the โ€œgapโ€ is reserved for seconds like โ€œ:00โ€.

Hi Aleksi,

Although that should be a bug by itself (if I chose to hide seconds, they should not take up space, right?), I honestly think it has something to do with the formatting of the 3rd column (the color and/or the icon). Without the format rule, the time column is small.

Please also see this topic: Truncation of columns: I have tried all the ...

Actually never mind, without the formatting rules this still happens:

2X_d_d13bcd8b0267f6382f0b71fae65e2399c1b60721.jpeg

Any other suggestions?

You could add a TEXT type of virtual column where you convert it as a text. Then it will have only 5 digits.

Hi Aleksi, thanks again for your reply. What do you mean exactly? Which column should I convert to text? The time column?

I tried making a new automated column that parses the Time column as text, which initially rendered me values like yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss, but after some parsing

IFS(ISNOTBLANK([Tijd]), IFS(HOUR(โ€œ0โ€ & [Tijd])<10,โ€œ0โ€) & HOUR(โ€œ0โ€ & [Tijd]) & โ€œ:โ€ & IFS(MINUTE(โ€œ0โ€ & [Tijd])<10,โ€œ0โ€) & MINUTE(โ€œ0โ€ & [Tijd]))

I managed to make it hh:mm

However, the column still stays exactly as wide as it was.

Soโ€ฆ it was still the same even when you changed it to your new column and you did Save & Verify?

Yes

I sort of did a work-around by adding โ€œhourโ€ to the timestamp (to fill up the white space a bit)
but this shouldnโ€™t be necessary and there still is a little bit too much white space.

Top Labels in this Space