Form to quickly edit single column based on input of row key

I'm guessing this is rather simple but have been floundering so would appreciate some guidance.

I want a simple form where the user can input the key value of a table and the form finds that row and automatically updates a column with today's date. Pretty much as simple as that. I don't want the user to have to manual add the date to a column or interact with it otherwise, they will be using a barcode scanner to input the key and I would have the form loop back with auto re-open.

I thought this might be the purpose of the "Row key" option in form view type but using =input("Barcode", "") it keeps telling me that there is already a row with that key, so clearly is behaving differently from what I expected. I've noted that if I set the "Row key" value to a specific key value in the table and have an action set to update the column field when the form saves, it works perfectly. So how do I dynamically input that "Row key" value?

I managed to get something working where I had a separate table that recorded my changes and a bot that updated the main table, however since it is a large database I would rather avoid adding an additional table and rows. There would be thousands of scans per week and it would quickly add up.

Edit: I have also done this with a second "dummy" table with grouped actions that update the main table then deletes the row from the "dummy" table (to minimise database size), but surely there is a way to do this with fewer steps?

0 2 116
  • UX
2 REPLIES 2

One idea you can entertain..

Create an auction to update the target col to TODAY().

Set this action to the Row Selected action of a table view. You can create a separate table view for this purpose.

Then use the system provided search box to scan the id to display the target row.

Tap on the row to select it to trigger the action.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

You need that separate table to contain the user interface for this feature.

The table needs two columns: a key based on the user's email or on the device's ID, and the input field.

Rather than deleting the row, enable Reset on edit? for the input field and reuse the same row.

Top Labels in this Space