Generate list of supplies needed based on form selection

I do woodworking and I am trying to use my app sheet as a customer database. I add customer orders myself and select the products they want through checkboxes. EXAMPLE, Let say โ€œLisaโ€ wants โ€œONEโ€ โ€œSmall Tableโ€ that is colored โ€œbrownโ€. Is there a way to generate a parts list based on the selection in the form? What I am hoping to be returned would say something like this.

Parts List for one small table
2x4 qty 3x at 8โ€™
1x8 qty 1x at 4โ€™
1x4 qty 2x at 8โ€™
Stain Color Brown

Iโ€™m not sure how to set up the sheets to read between them each other to โ€œCallโ€ or โ€œask forโ€ based on the selections.

THank you
Dave.

0 6 120
6 REPLIES 6

How is the app supposed to know what the parts are for a certain product?

That is my question. Can I look up and return multiple cells based on a selection?
I can set up a sheet of all the parts listed vertically and then have a 2nd cell next to it that will list all the products that use that part. Not sure if there is a way to Filter a list?
Sheet Example.
| A | B
1 | 2x4 | Small Table, Large Table, Outdoor bench
2 | 1x3 | Large Table, Outdoor bench
3 | 1x8 | Small Table, Toy Chest
4 | 1x5 | Outdoor Planter

Or should I list it by product?
Sheet Example.
| A | B
1 | Small Table | 2x4 at 8โ€™ qty 3, 1x8 at 8โ€™ qty 2, 1x4 at 8โ€™ qty 2 |
2 | Large Table | 2x4 at 8โ€™ qty 2, 1x8 at 8โ€™ qty 4, 1x4 at 8โ€™ qty 4 |
3 | Toy chest | 1x8 at 8โ€™ qty 3, 1x10 at 8โ€™ qty 5
4 | OutDoor Planter | Ceramic Tile qty 1, 2x4 at 8โ€™ qty 2,1x5 at 4โ€™ qty 1

There are many options to set up the table but Iโ€™m not sure what is the best to suffice a lookup.

Here is an image of my app of where I would like this โ€œLookupโ€ to show up. Outlined in RED

I keep track of my wood inventory so I would like to bring that into play as well, but not yet.

Yes, if you have a Table like this, you can do:

SELECT(
  Table[A] ,
  IN( [_THISROW].[Product] , [B] )
)

Thank you. Iโ€™ll make a table like this. Now how can I get it to show like my picture above? Iโ€™m not sure how to even start that.

The results of the SELECT, when converted to a Text value, will be a comma-separate list. You can use SUBSTITUTE() to replace all commas with new lines, in a LongText column.

SUBSTITUTE( ... , "," , "
")

Hi @Dave_Niedbala all this is entirely doable, though its a fair amount of work to try and describe in detail in a forum. What I suggest is you consider getting one of the Appsheet Partners (https://www.appsheet.com/Partners) to give you 1-2 hours of work and consultancy. That way they can advise on how to lay the tables out correctly to make you life easier later on. This is what I did when I started and even a couple of weeks ago I paid someone for about 30mins work just to show me how to get the Appsheet API working. This was after 10+ hours of banging my head on a wall with it not working.

As a cheeky suggestion, Iโ€™m an Appsheet Dev with 6ish years of experience and Iโ€™ve done a very similar job for a plumbing company that does new build houses. They have a table of 179 types of houses and each house can have up to 160ish different materials. So if you want a 10-20 min chat FOC Iโ€™m happy to do that. DM if interested

Simon@1minManager.com

Top Labels in this Space