Generating Key both with app and Google Sheets

Hi,
I have a sheets file where I keep a glossary of terms from various subject matters, their definition in another language etc. It is a very basic glossary. The ID in the Key column is automatically generated by the app, when I input data using the app.
But I also want to input bulk data on the sheets because it takes a long time to do it one by one on the app.
The problem is, when I use google sheets file to input data, I canโ€™t generate keys for each item as the app can do.
How can I generate ID the same way the app does on Google Sheets, without disrupting the app?
Thanks3X_8_8_88bdc85a7fc2ac2e7a811574b65be0d3c7e76297.jpeg

0 4 184
4 REPLIES 4

Please take a look at the below article

Thank you for responding so quickly,
Before I opted for Appsheet to generate the ID automatically, I have seen this article. But as far as I understand, it is either Appsheet generating the ID or manually creating it. I was wondering if both can be possible, i.e Appsheet generating an ID for each item when using the app and Google Sheets automatically doing it with a formula (?) or sth If I choose to input multiple rows in the data file.

AppSheet does have a provision for spreadsheet formulas being recognized. However, if you are adding records in bulk from the backend, then I believe you will be unable to take advantage of it.

From your description, it appears that the tables wherein you are uploading data in bulk is read-only table of glossaries of terms and it seems to be a small table of a few tens of rows. If so you could even assign the simple serial but unique numbers to those manually added handfuls of records.

Alternatively, you could have a spreadsheet formula in the first data row and keep copying it while adding other rows in bulk.

If a worksheet column includes a formula in any cell of that column, the entire app column becomes read-only and the app cannot set new values in that column.

The help article clearly describes how you can bulk populate key column values within the spreadsheet.

Top Labels in this Space