Google 2 factor authentification

A user organization is asking for 2 step authentication on login. We are using Google Drive and Sheets as our data source in AppSheet.

Google offers it - https://www.google.com/landing/2step/#tab=how-it-works

But how would I implement it with 25+ different users Gmail accounts? I donโ€™t want to rely on each users choosing to use 2 step auth. I want to force it on everyone using the app.

Thanks
Bob

0 9 382
9 REPLIES 9

Are all 25 users in the same organization? we have gsuite and our admins can force users to use 2 factor

Austin
All users are in the same organization. Do you know how your admins force a 2 factor with gsuite? I understand that AppSheet doesnโ€™t auto-logout.

@Bob_Haizmann
May be remind you that, any user logins to an AppSheet app only once and thereโ€™s no auto-logout feature i.e. inactive for certain duration. Therefore use of 2FA with AppSheet will not be so logical and effective. Besides, concur with @Austin_Lambeth that all users shall be under the same domain umbrella.

^also I dont know how much you would want to use appsheet for something that would require 2 factor for business/legal purposes.

@Bob_Haizmann
However, provided you want to use an additional layer of data security, - though itโ€™s not so easy and is a bit tricky - itโ€™s possible to mimic 2FA with use of SMS/Push notification and simple Form UX and expect the user to enter the UNIQUEID() to the form and save. A Form Saved Event can easily check the validity of the entered UNIQUEID(). Itโ€™s a bit complex design but you can even define a valid duration for the use of that UNIQUEID().

It is possible to have an authentication provider, say Microsoft, that is different that your database provider?

Bob

I would not see there being any problem with this. They are separate as far as I know. When you log in, you are authentication an account with say Microsoft or google but that account is not your authentication to the database. Database authentication happens when you configure your datasource and is authenticated on Appsheets side.

@Austin_Lambeth
Need a small correction hereโ€ฆAuthentication always happens on the provider side, not the AppSheet side. With the dabase authentication, AppSheet just gets the access privilege to read&write&delete to that database under scope, thatโ€™s all. AppSheet neither provides any oAuth protocol nor owns an oAuth server at all.

Thanks for catching that. I meant the way you explained it but words hard.

Top Labels in this Space