How to use the Key from one table View to another Table View without Filtering

Caio

Hello, I have one table view called MY PRESENTATIONS (where all presentations are created). And another Table view SCHEDULER that I want to create an action that when the user selects the row of the MY PRESENTATIONS view it will get the Key to auto populate the slots the user selects.
I know that using Forms view we can auto populate. But this SCHEDULER view only allows Updates in one Column to book slots that are available and not allow users to Add or Delete rows. Screenshots below:
3X_a_0_a05a7ae2f81b3ffac6d85d63de208a041cd3db88.jpeg 3X_f_6_f6f7126eb9cd8779239d5d3d3a77cc43b53eda90.jpeg
3X_e_6_e67f70a61d68d7c1b5f71115ac1be3802edb484b.jpeg
3X_0_c_0c19d5ab575a3fcbccb4500de3319b5375dc4ebc.jpeg
Thanks

Solved Solved
0 5 1,027
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok. I mis-read your original post.

It seems you want to be able to select the row in the My Presentations view. Then switch to the Scheduler view, select a time slot (a pre-exisitng row) and have that time slot row populate with the ID of the My Presentation row you selected while in the My Presentation view. Is that right?

AppSheet does not provide the ability to โ€œrememberโ€ a row โ€œhighlightedโ€ in another view. You could build something to mimic this but it is a lot more work and, quite frankly, a lot less user friendly.

I understand that you do not want to allow adds and deletes but why not still have the ID column show a dropdown list of Presentations? You can still lock down the Times and Day fields so they are not allowed to be changed. Then set the ID column to show a dropdown list of valid Presentations - i.e. only approved Presentations that have not already been assigned a time slot.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

In your ID column, there is a section called โ€œAuto Computeโ€. Inside that section is an App Formula property. Insert the proper expression in that property to select the Key from the row in the Presentations table you wish to auto-populate with.

It should look something like:

SELECT(Presentations[Key column],  AND(<criteria 1>, <criteria 2>, <criteria 3>, etc)

BONUS TIP: If you define your ID column as a Ref column type, it will use the Key value as a link to your Presentations table. This gives you 2 benefits:

1. You can set any other column as the โ€œLabelโ€ for the Presentations table which will be used as the display value in place of the ID. ID is still stored in data, the Label is only used for display. For example you could set [Presentation Name] as the Label for the table Presentations. Then in the app views, ID will be automatically replaced with Presentation Name.
  2. The Ref column will provide you access to the Presentations table column values for THAT row using โ€œdotโ€ notation like so: [ID].[Column A] - where [ID] is the column in the Scheduler table and [Column A] is the column from the Presentations table accessed through the Ref link.

Using App Formula

Defining a Ref Column to link tables

Caio

Thank you.
But how can I Auto populate the exact โ€œIDโ€ of the row I selected from one view (MY PRESENTATIONS) to be used in the other view (GLOBAL).
Inside the Auto Compute I tried adding SELECT(LOG[ID],[_THISROW].[ID]=[ID]) .
But it does not work, because the user needs to select with Time Slots he wants and it should Auto Populate with the ID from the row he has clicked in the MY PRESENTATION view.

Ok. I mis-read your original post.

It seems you want to be able to select the row in the My Presentations view. Then switch to the Scheduler view, select a time slot (a pre-exisitng row) and have that time slot row populate with the ID of the My Presentation row you selected while in the My Presentation view. Is that right?

AppSheet does not provide the ability to โ€œrememberโ€ a row โ€œhighlightedโ€ in another view. You could build something to mimic this but it is a lot more work and, quite frankly, a lot less user friendly.

I understand that you do not want to allow adds and deletes but why not still have the ID column show a dropdown list of Presentations? You can still lock down the Times and Day fields so they are not allowed to be changed. Then set the ID column to show a dropdown list of valid Presentations - i.e. only approved Presentations that have not already been assigned a time slot.

Thank you! Appreciate your time and ideas. I will probably follow with the separate view with a Drop-down.

Maybe itโ€™s because I donโ€™t know your complete requirement but Iโ€™m not clear why you would need a separate view. I just want to be sure the app is not becoming unnecessarily complex and that the features are being used as intended.

Top Labels in this Space