Hello! Is there a way to email all at once ev...

Hello! Is there a way to email all at once everyone in a particular table? What I was hoping to do was hold-select a row (profile), which allows me to multi select

more profiles (maybe even select-all) and then in the right hand menu, select โ€œemail.โ€ However, the only thing showing in the right hand menu when I multi-select is โ€œdelete.โ€

Is there another way to email all? (not on a schedule {workflow}, not because of a data change {action}, but just because I want to at any particular moment in time.)

As in, to let my members know of an upcoming event.

1 7 738
7 REPLIES 7

Yes. But you do it through a data change. It seems rudimentary, but you simply have a dummy columnโ€ฆ

@Aleksi_Alkio Iโ€™m not by my computer, can you hook Tara up with a link to your NOW() solution for this.

โ€œData changeโ€ is not needed. You can do that with the action button. You should also show the action as โ€œDisplay Inlineโ€.

If you want to trigger the action with the button, you should have an additional field in your tableโ€ฆ like [PDFTimestamp]. Write the value for this column with that action by using NOW(). When you press that button, it will write the now value.

Then you can make a condition rule for your workflow like AND(ISNOTBLANK([PDFTimestamp]),[_THISROW_BEFORE].[PDFTimestamp]<>[_THISROW_AFTER].[PDFTimestamp]). This will take care of the process. This wonโ€™t trigger the email if you change any other column in your record.

@Aleksi_Alkio Questionโ€ฆ (But first, Thank you!!) Iโ€™ve implemented what you suggested, and yes, it emails everyone! However, I want to be able to edit each email before sending, just as if I was only emailing one person how it takes me to my mail server. With what I just implemented, an email sends automatically without further edits from me. Any way to change that? Or I would even be happy with a way to export all the email addresses as a text file to paste into my email serverโ€™s composer window.

Basically, I want to send an entire group a quick custom email at any point in time. That email will be different every time, since it will be reminding them of a meeting that will be on different days or for different reasons.

It wonโ€™t work with your existing column structure. You need to think it from another direction.

Create a simple email table into your app. In generally three columns could be enough. Subject, Body text and Emails. Add a new email, write subject and body and choose emails. Without knowing your structure, you could read emails with a SELECT expression as well if you want to send that email to all.

@Aleksi_Alkio Hereโ€™s the solution I came up with to mass email people in a table or slice. I combined both of your suggestions. I thought Iโ€™d lay it all out in case someone else searching this community ever has the same issue.

This is for an app that manages a choir sheet music library and a large choir; along with the directors, chairmen, pianists, etc of the smaller choirs that come together to make the large choir. I created an additional table (EMAIL MESSAGES) with these columns:

[Date:]-- NOW(),

[From:]-- Enum with my 3 usersโ€™ names,

[From Email:]-- Enum

[To:]-- Enum of 2 different groups of people we email regularly (โ€œStake Choir Membersโ€, or the โ€œDirectors and Presidentsโ€ of each of the 8 smaller choirs) [Subject:] โ€“ text [Body Paragraph 1:], โ€“ longtext [Body Paragraph 2:],-- (optional) longtext

[Salutation:]-- Enum (Thank you, See you there, Until next time, etc.) [Date/To] โ€“ virtual column, and my โ€œkeyโ€: =CONCATENATE([Date:],[To:])

Then, I created a workflow in the behavior section to trigger an email:

Target data: the EMAIL MESSAGES table.

Updates on: โ€œADDS_ONLYโ€.

Condition: = AND(AND(ISNOTBLANK([Date/To]),[_THISROW_BEFORE].[Date/To]<>[_THISROW_AFTER].[Date/To]),([To:]=โ€œStake Choir Membersโ€)) That expression triggers the email every time โ€œDate/Toโ€ is filled out AND the email is [To:] the choir members. Send to: =[From Email:] so I can BCC the real recipients Subject: <Subject:> Email Body: Iโ€™ll get back to this after explaining the next parts. CC: the email addresses of the bosses of the organization BCC: =Choir Roster[Email Address]

โ€œChoir Rosterโ€ is a table in my app Reply to: =[From Email:] Pre-header: I changed the auto-generated expression a bit. <<Body Paragraph 1:>> by โ€˜<<USEREMAIL()>>โ€™ at <<NOW()>> Email body template: I clicked โ€œcreateโ€, then waited for it to generate a DocId= number and clicked โ€œviewโ€. It takes you to a google doc with all your column fields and their labels. I deleted all except the parts I wanted to show up in the email. That template now looks something like this:

<To:>,

<<Body Paragraph 1:>>

<<Body Paragraph 2:>>

<>,

<From:>

Then I went back up to the โ€œEmail Bodyโ€ section and pasted that same DocId number, so the body of the email generates according to the template I just created.

Voila!

I then duplicated the whole workflow rule (to account for the other group of people I email) and changed the condition expression to include โ€œChoir Directors and Presidentsโ€ instead of the choir members.

THEN, in the UI/UX area, I added a form view to my menu of that EMAIL MESSAGES table.

So, now when I go to my menu, I click on the โ€œEmailโ€ option, and Iโ€™m taken to a form. I fill it out (most of which is Enum drop down menu except the subject and body paragraphs), and click save. 10 seconds later, thereโ€™s an email in my inbox.

VOILA! VOI-FREAKING-LA!

Sorry. Iโ€™m excited. And my brain hurts.

Hey, Thanks for all of this! Looks like it might be something that I need!
Have you come up with any further developments of improvements for this kind of Emailing through the App? TYTY!

Wellโ€ฆ brain hurt is very normal. Nothing to worry aboutโ˜บ

Top Labels in this Space