Help with max formula

Hello everyone,
I have 2 tables
HOME is Parent (key= [CPR])
INFOPREX is child
I want to get the maximum value in each โ€˜LOCALIZACAOโ€™.
My formula is (there are more conditions but letโ€™s go to the main one):

IFS(USERSETTINGS('Numero de Meses Anรกlise')=6,
MAX(
LIST(ANY(SELECT([Related INFOPREXs][V_0],[LOCALIZACAO]='Loja 1')),
ANY(SELECT([Related INFOPREXs][V_1],[LOCALIZACAO]='Loja 1')),
ANY(SELECT([Related INFOPREXs][V_2],[LOCALIZACAO]='Loja 1')),
ANY(SELECT([Related INFOPREXs][V_3],[LOCALIZACAO]='Loja 1')),
ANY(SELECT([Related INFOPREXs][V_4],[LOCALIZACAO]='Loja 1')),
ANY(SELECT([Related INFOPREXs][V_5],[LOCALIZACAO]='Loja 1'))
)
)
)

The problem is that the values displayed after each synchronization are different.
Iโ€™d appreciate some help figuring out what Iโ€™m doing wrong.
Thanks

Solved Solved
0 7 1,257
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I cannot explain why youโ€™re seeing different numbers each time the app syncs. That is very odd behavior.

My interpretation of the expression sample you provided is that you are attempting to find the highest V_ column valueโ€“where each V_ column corresponds to a 1-month periodโ€“for the Loja 1 location over a number of months determined by the Numero de Meses Anรกlise user setting (6 in the sample). Based on my interpretation, I propose an alternative approach:

1. Add a virtual column (Iโ€™ll call it MAX_V) to the INFOPREX table to compute the maximum of the first so-many V_ column valuesโ€“as determined by the Numero de Meses Anรกlise user settingโ€“for its row:

MAX(
      TOP(
        LIST([V_0], [V_1], ..., [V_15]),
        USERSETTINGS('Numero de Meses Anรกlise')
      )
    )

Replace [V_0], [V_1], ..., [V_15] with the complete list of V_ column references for the row.

TOP(..., USERSETTINGS('Numero de Meses Anรกlise')) reduces the list of all V_ column values to only the first so-many determined by the user setting.

MAX(...) then finds the highest of the first so-many of rowโ€™s V_ column values.

2. Replace your IFS(USERSETTINGS(...)=6, MAX(SELECT(...))) expression with the following:

MAX(SELECT([Related INFOPREXs][MAX_V], ('Loja 1' = [LOCALIZACAO]))

Note how Iโ€™ve expressed ('Loja 1' = [LOCALIZACAO]). The is-equal-to operator (=) has the non-intuitive behavior that it will evaluate as TRUE if the left-side value is blank, regardless of the right-side value. If [LOCALIZACAO] on the left side is ever blank, you might get unexpected results. Putting a value that is guaranteed to be non-blank on the left side avoids this behavior.

With these expressions, you wonโ€™t need separate expressions to handle each different value of the Numero de Meses Anรกlise user setting.

If you arenโ€™t interested in trying this alternative, we can instead try to troubleshoot the odd behavior your app is experiencing.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

You cannot filter Related INFOPREX like that. Replace

by INFOPREX (the name of the child table)

Thanks @Bellave_Jayaram for the reply but with this change always returns 0.

In your suggestion the expression does not take into account the key of the row for which I want the expression. I probably need an โ€˜ANDโ€™ statement, or am i wrong?
I still have some difficulties turning Portuguese into AppShettโ€™ese.
I will keep trying.
EDIT: In the image there are only zeros, but in other rows there are values, which I want to find the maximum value for each Loja(1,2 or 3) of the INFOPREX table, in each row of the HOME table.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Your use of [Related INFOPREXs] (e.g., [Related INFOPREXs][V1]) is valid.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I cannot explain why youโ€™re seeing different numbers each time the app syncs. That is very odd behavior.

My interpretation of the expression sample you provided is that you are attempting to find the highest V_ column valueโ€“where each V_ column corresponds to a 1-month periodโ€“for the Loja 1 location over a number of months determined by the Numero de Meses Anรกlise user setting (6 in the sample). Based on my interpretation, I propose an alternative approach:

1. Add a virtual column (Iโ€™ll call it MAX_V) to the INFOPREX table to compute the maximum of the first so-many V_ column valuesโ€“as determined by the Numero de Meses Anรกlise user settingโ€“for its row:

MAX(
      TOP(
        LIST([V_0], [V_1], ..., [V_15]),
        USERSETTINGS('Numero de Meses Anรกlise')
      )
    )

Replace [V_0], [V_1], ..., [V_15] with the complete list of V_ column references for the row.

TOP(..., USERSETTINGS('Numero de Meses Anรกlise')) reduces the list of all V_ column values to only the first so-many determined by the user setting.

MAX(...) then finds the highest of the first so-many of rowโ€™s V_ column values.

2. Replace your IFS(USERSETTINGS(...)=6, MAX(SELECT(...))) expression with the following:

MAX(SELECT([Related INFOPREXs][MAX_V], ('Loja 1' = [LOCALIZACAO]))

Note how Iโ€™ve expressed ('Loja 1' = [LOCALIZACAO]). The is-equal-to operator (=) has the non-intuitive behavior that it will evaluate as TRUE if the left-side value is blank, regardless of the right-side value. If [LOCALIZACAO] on the left side is ever blank, you might get unexpected results. Putting a value that is guaranteed to be non-blank on the left side avoids this behavior.

With these expressions, you wonโ€™t need separate expressions to handle each different value of the Numero de Meses Anรกlise user setting.

If you arenโ€™t interested in trying this alternative, we can instead try to troubleshoot the odd behavior your app is experiencing.

Thank you very much @Steve you are the Man.
I was trying to avoid putting VCโ€™s in the INFOPREX table because itโ€™s a table with 52300 rows x 31 columns. I thought it would have a lot of impact on synchronization, but it didnโ€™t.
I learned a lot from your answer. Thank you very much.

Good Morning @Steve.

The behavior I mentioned yesterday about the formulas returning different values โ€‹โ€‹on each sync reappeared after I added some more VCโ€™s based on your solution.

What seems to me to happen is that AppSheet does not calculate all rows. When I go into detail view and activate an action that is not related to calculations but sets a value in the table, AppSheet does the calculation.
Is there any way to force AppSheet to do all calculations before displaying views?

After several attempts and experiments, I realized that replacing:

(That for me was the best solution), with:

MAX(SELECT(INFOPREX[MAX_V],AND( [CPR]=[_THISROW].[CPR],('Loja 1' = [LOCALIZACAO]))))

as well as all other VCโ€™s where I used [Related INFOPREXs], the app works well.

So there seems to be a sync issue when we use [Related TABLEs] with a lot of data. I do not know if that is, but my change solved the problem.
Thankโ€™s by all help.

Top Labels in this Space