Help with referencing one item and getting a List of child items, and how to present them

Hi all,

I hope you could help. I’m posting this after thoroughly searching the AppSheet documentation and through the forum.

I’m trying to build a building inspections app. Sometimes I need to inspect a specific area (entrance, lobby, garden), sometimes a specific system (fire safety system, water supply system) or facility (gym, tennis court).

Each of the above are comprised of many items, and many times an items can relate to a facility as well as an area.
An example of an item: parking-gate (relates to area: parking lot; system: entry-control-system; facility: none).

I’d now like to build an inspection form, where the user chooses what is being inspected (area, system or facility) and get’s only the relevant list of items to inspect.

Example 1:
User chooses to inspect the AREA: Lobby and is presented with items: door, mirror, spot lights, each with the options of in-order / not.

Example 2:
User chooses to inspect the FACILITY: Gym and is presented with items: treadmill, bench, TV

I can’t seem to figure out how to pull the list of items that are related to the chosen area/system/facility, and mainly how to convert that ref to a yes / no item.

Any help is much appreciated!

I’m pretty sure this user here was asking a similar question but didn’t see responses:

1 4 122
4 REPLIES 4

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I’ve not developed such an app myself.

I would imagine a table of questions. Each row would identify the context for the question (e.g., the specific area, the specific system, or the specific facility), the question text, and the response type (e.g., short text, long text, count, multiple choice).

When a new inspection is started, the app would identify the appropriate questions from the table above and would present the list of questions to the user in a table or deck view, and/or as a series of detail views. To answer a question, the user taps an action button on the desired question that opens a form view to collect the response and save it to a separate responses table.

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately I think that kind of structure leads to a large amount of duplicate entries. There must be another way…

I’ll try to explain the issue better with an example.

Say there’s an item “Oak tree”.
There are multiple scenarios in which “oak tree” might need to be inspected or worked on

1. As part of a gardener performance inspection.
  2. As part of a cleaner performance inspection
  3. As part of a specific area inspection
  4. As part of a safety inspection

If I must add “oak tree” to each of the above inspection tables, the result is many copies of the same item. Not only is it redundant, it also won’t allow for a history of every time oak tree was inspected, since every inspection was performed on a different copy of the item.

This is why I put all items in one table, with references to various areas / facilities etc. And to various work/inspection schedules (cleaning inspection, weekly grounds inspection etc.)

Problem is now I don’t have a way to inspect only the group of items that is relevant to the specific case, and more importantly, to run the inspection in a way that the user won’t have to go through multiple screens just check an item as ok/not.

Any ideas?

If anyone has an idea for me that would be amazing. I’m lost…

Top Labels in this Space