Here is another confusing situation for me. ...

Here is another confusing situation for me.

I have 2 tables, Students & Payments with a reference key of Name

Iโ€™m try to build a report template that will pull all Students and their payments for a certain year.

I want the report to look like thisโ€ฆ

Name 1

payment 1 - date

payment 2 - date

payment 3 - date

Name 2

payment 1 - date

payment 2 - date

payment 3 - date

Name 3

payment 1 - date

payment 2 - date

payment 3 - date

Iโ€™ve built something like thisโ€ฆ but itโ€™s not working.

<<Start: OrderBy(SELECT(Students[Name], [Status]=โ€œActiveโ€), [Name])>>

[Name]

<<Start: OrderBy(SELECT(Payments[Name], AND([Name]=Students[Name], Year([Date])=Year(Today())) ), [Date])>>

[Payment] - [Date]

<> <>

Iโ€™ve also tried to use Payments as the primary and nest the call for student info โ€ฆ but that also didnt work right.

Does someone have an example of this?

or suggestion?

Thanks againโ€ฆ

0 6 400
6 REPLIES 6

@David_Hopkins

I think you already got this working using the Start expression:

<<Start: OrderBy(SELECT(Payments[key], AND([Name]=[_THISROW].[Name], Year([Date])=Year(Now()))), [Date])>>

Here is the Start expression I would use:

<<Start: OrderBy(SELECT([Payment History][key], Year([Date])=Year(Now())), [Date])>>

I have updated the Start Expression documentation to describe how to write a Start expression having a reverse reference with a condition. See topic โ€œReverse Reference with a Conditionโ€ in this article https://help.appsheet.com/behavior/workflow-sending-email/start-expressions-in-embedded-templates

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh I see how using the reverse reference negates having to use the condition of name=name. It seems to make the report generation faster as well.

Thank you for pointing that out โ€ฆ I have a few more reports to write, and Iโ€™ll be using this format in the future.

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh On a related note, any suggestion how I could only show Students that made payments last year?

Iโ€™ve started with All Studentsโ€ฆ and then pulled payments associated with those students.

But not all students were there last year, so Iโ€™d like to get โ€œAll students that made a payment last yearโ€ then get all payments associated with them.

@David_Hopkins

I would create a slice over the Students table that only contains students who made a payment last year. By using a slice, you divide the problem into two steps.

In step one you ensure the slice contains exactly the records you want.

In step two you run the report over that slice.

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh Thats exactly the path I chose. I think the problem Im having at this point is getting the slice query right.

@David_Hopkins

Try:

COUNT(SELECT([Payment History][key], Year([Date])=Year(NOW())-1))>0

More important, here is the approach I use to write expressions.

1. I start with the table I want to interrogate. In this case it is the Payments table.

2. I then add a virtual column to that table to help me debug the first part of the expression. In this case I want to determine if a payment happened last year. I wrote this expression:

Year([Date])= 2017

I tested it and it worked.

1. Next I replace 2017 with โ€œYear(NOW())-1โ€ and got this expression:

Year([Date])=Year(NOW())-1

1. I then went to the Students table and added a virtual column to see if I could count the payments he student had made regardless of the year. I wrote this expression:

COUNT(SELECT([Payment History][key], true))

1. I then combined the two expressions so I both count and filter on payment date. I wrote this expression:

COUNT(SELECT([Payment History][key], Year([Date])=Year(NOW())-1))

1. I then compared the result of the expression to zero. This returns โ€œtrueโ€ if the student payed last year. I wrote this expression:

COUNT(SELECT([Payment History][key], Year([Date])=Year(NOW())-1))>0

In general: 1. I create expressions by starting with the simplest expression I can write.

1. I then make the expression richer in very small steps.

2. I work from the inside out. I write the inner most expression first. 4. I create temporary virtual columns and use the expression wizard to create and debug each step in my expression. 5. I never put an expression in a workflow template without verifying it as I described above. Debugging an expression by entering it directly in a workflow template is much too hard so I always debug it as described above.

Top Labels in this Space