Hey everyone, Is there a way to cause an act...

Hey everyone,

Is there a way to cause an action to affect a data change on a different (non-child) table?

Specific example: I made an app that tracks textbooks at a school. There is a โ€˜inventoryโ€™ table of all books and an โ€˜activityโ€™ table that tracks each bookโ€™s activity (assigned to student, returned, etc.). The inventory table has a โ€˜statusโ€™ column where users can mark that a book has been reported missing. Letโ€™s say a book is marked missing, and then someone scans an โ€˜activityโ€™ item for that book โ€“ I want the app to immediately recognize that the book is no longer missing, and run an action to change the value of the Status column in the โ€˜inventoryโ€™ table! Is there a way to do that?

Thanks in advance!

0 3 432
3 REPLIES 3

Harry2

@Zecharya_Michelsohn1 You can try using the action type โ€œexecute an action on a set of rowsโ€. This action will perform another action on a set of rows from a table that you can choose. The rows are identified by an expression that returns the rowsโ€™ IDs. In your case, you need to ensure that the expression only returns the ID of the book in question. The action to be executed will be a separate action that updates the bookโ€™s status. Finally youโ€™ll need a workflow rule that will perform the top level action (the one that performs an action on a set of rows) when triggered (the trigger can be scanning โ€œactivityโ€ item).

Is there an example of this? I did not quite get it

Worked like a charm! Thanks!

Top Labels in this Space