Hey guys! I have a question on the reference ...

Hey guys! I have a question on the reference function between two tables.

In one view (weโ€™ll call it โ€œProducts,โ€) I have a referenced column where I can select a โ€œClientโ€ from a drop down menu. Fantastic. But the reverse isnโ€™t so fantastic. in the Client view, the reference showing their โ€œproductsโ€ has an add โ€œNewโ€ link, which goes to the product input form. I donโ€™t want that. I would prefer the โ€œnewโ€ link on the clientโ€™s โ€œproductsโ€ list to go to the table list of all products so I can select a product that is already there.

Is this a thing? Can references and reverse references both function as a dropdown selection? I donโ€™t even know if this is a UX issue or a behavior issue or a data issue.

0 8 344
8 REPLIES 8

@Tara_Holladay ok what i would suggest you do is create a new table with the following columns: Code (UniqueID-Text), Students (Ref to your students table), Piano Pieces (Ref to your piano pieces)โ€ฆand i personally would add in Start Date (Date- initialize to today) and EndDate(manual input or through an action button when an end date doesnโ€™t exist). This will allow you to see for each student which pieces they have played and when and same in reverse for the pieces of music.

quick question - can one clients have many products and can one product belong to many clients - because if thatโ€™s the case you might want to build an intermediary tableโ€ฆ

You are requesting kind of basket functionalityโ€ฆ am I correct?

@Segolene_Sansom Yes! Looks like Iโ€™ll be researching intermediary tables. What I actually have are a list of piano studentsโ€™ profiles. Then I have a huge database of my sheet music and piano pieces from books. I have over a thousand โ€œproductsโ€ (pieces of music for them to play) and I want to be able to assign those pieces to a studentโ€™s profile. There will be multiple students working on the same piece on any given week, and there will be multiple pieces for each student. Maybe โ€œreferencesโ€ isnโ€™t the feature I should be using. An action maybe?

@Aleksi_Alkio That sounds promising. I donโ€™t know what that is but I think I need to research that. I responded to another commenter in this post about what Iโ€™m actually doing. Itโ€™s an app to help keep my piano studentsโ€™ weekly assignments organized.

@Segolene_Sansom Question, if I did the intermediary table like you suggested, would the end result have this possibility: Iโ€™m in the studentโ€™s individual profile and I can click on the name of the songs that they are working on and it takes me to that songโ€™s individual reference page?

@Tara_Holladay yes you could.

@Segolene_Sansom Thank you!!

Top Labels in this Space