Hi all, I have an action set up on a Commitm...

Hi all,

I have an action set up on a Commitment Table to create a New Challenge with pre-populated fields

LINKTOFORM(โ€œCo Creative Progress App_Formโ€, โ€œCreatedโ€, TODAY(), โ€œLife Domainโ€, [Life Domain], โ€œCommitmentโ€, [Summary])

However, when the new challenge record gets created it creates a second instance of the Summary name (instead of selecting the original reference from the drop down list).

In this way I end up with broken references and orphaned challenges, and I have to manually go in and update each reference after the record is created.

Any ideas how to avoid this problem?

0 8 332
8 REPLIES 8

You are probably using row label for this value, correct?

@Aleksi_Alkio Yes, Iโ€™m using โ€œCommitmentโ€, [Summary] where Commitment = the name of the field/column in the Commitment Table and Summary = the name of the field/column in the Challenges Table

The Life Domain field works perfectly (also a reference list) but the Commitment field creates a new instance.

I believe the reason is the โ€œLabelโ€ feature. When you save the value into the database, you are normally saving the key columnโ€™s value, not the text โ€œIgniting peopleโ€ฆโ€. When you try to copy the value from that column with the LINKTOFORM, itโ€™s recording the โ€œLabelโ€ value, not the key value. Could that be the reason?

@Aleksi_Alkio Perfect. That did it. I changed from Label to Key and now I get the appropriate text directly from the reference list (no duplicate entry is created).

Thanks so much.

BUTโ€ฆ it should copy the key value, not the label. Let me check if this a small bug.

@Aleksi_Alkio Ok let me know. I definitely wouldnโ€™t want it to show the key value as this would be useless to the user.

Iโ€™ve actually got the key value hidden and use the Summary text as the Label.

If it would copy the key value, you wouldnโ€™t recognize the difference in your dropdown because the label value will take care of that. If it would copy the key value, you wouldnโ€™t see the duplicate and no broken reference either.

@Aleksi_Alkio I donโ€™t know how I would tell the difference, then. It feels like thatโ€™s how itโ€™s working now.

Top Labels in this Space