How Would You: Create a view to score a large number of people on a large number of skills

Luke_D

I have a โ€œPeopleโ€ table of several hundred people, a โ€œSkillsโ€ table of several hundred skills those people can be evaluated on, and a โ€œPeoples Skillsโ€ table that references both of those tables to assign a score of 0 to 3 for any one person on any one skill.

How would you go about creating a user-friendly view that lets you choose a person, then rapidly scroll through the several hundred skills to assign scores (0 to 3, currently just using radio buttons) for that person on those skills? Basically this amounts to selecting a record from the โ€œPeopleโ€ table, showing a list of everything in the โ€œSkillsโ€ table, then rapidly adding records to the โ€œPeoples Skillsโ€ table for the selected person and the Skills I want to assign a score to. I just donโ€™t know whatโ€™s the best design approach that lets me see all the skills at once AND which ones already have scores entered for that person in the same view.

0 10 912
10 REPLIES 10

Do you mean something like this?

I am not sure how the built-in drop down behaves with several hundred records, but you can try yourself.
Simply create the associations between the 3 tables (for the third one also make a virtual column concatenating the refs to the other tables in order to have a virtual hidden key). The Level column is an enum property of the third table.

Luke_D

Ok, thatโ€™s basically what I have so far, with several hundred skills in a dropdown where you select one skill, then a score, and then save the record. But what I want is more of a view where (for the person Iโ€™ve selected) thereโ€™s a list of all the available skills visible, with boxes beside each to input a score, and the resulting records created on the fly as I work down the list of skills with that person. Kind of like a giant multi-select input but with a secondary field on each option to input a number. Is that description more clear?
Iโ€™m just not sure how to go about that in AppSheet (some kind of table view?), or if it requires a different data structure.

Oh, and your suggestion about creating a virtual column in the third table for a concatenated key is a good one that I had overlooked. Will do that!

Ok. Something like that is achievable by changing the default view โ€œpeople_skills_inlineโ€ to a deck view with some actions in it for setting the level to the different values. But you need first to create โ€œemptyโ€ records for the โ€œPeople Skillsโ€ table in order to have all of them always shown:

Ok, now that feels like the direction I needed someone to point me in. Thank you! Now to figure out if thereโ€™s a way to batch add a large number of blank records with an action or something. Another day, another battle ha ha.

I appreciate your help!

Iโ€™d go with Copy&Paste or a VBA script in excel for adding the records for the existing people and skill records.
For the people and skills to be added by app users, you need to create a workflow rule that adds โ€œPeopleSkillโ€ records whenever a new People or a new Skill is added. This is definitely the trickiest task, because you have to add a set of PeopleSkill records, not a single one.
You need to learn how to add a number of rows from this link

and maybe instead of using a column for holding the counter, you can create a condition based on the number of missing records. If you have n people and m skills, and the user adds a new people, then the workflow should add m PeopleSkill recordsโ€ฆ

Brilliant. Looking forward to digging in to that example app. Thank you!

Here are the actions to define in order to add records to People Skills stable when a new record to People is added. No need to use counters nor control columns nor control tables. Similarly, youโ€™ll probably need to create actions for handling the creation of new skills.

Action 1: Add a row to P_S from People

• For a record of this table: People
  • Do this: Data: add a new row to another table using values from this row
  • Table to add to: People Skills
  • Set these columns:
    • Person: [_THISROW].[ID]
    • Skill: ANY(Skills[ID]-SELECT(People Skills[Skill],[Person]=[_THISROW].[ID]))
  • Appearance: Do not display

Action 2: Add a row to P_S from People Recursion

• Do this: Grouped: execute a sequence of actions
  • Actions:
    • Add a row to P_S from People

Action 3: Add rows to P_S from People

• Do this: execute an action on a set of rows
  • Referenced Table: People
  • Referenced Rows: LIST([_THISROW])
  • Referenced Action: Add a row to P_S from People Recursion
  • Only if this condition is true: COUNT(Skills[ID]-SELECT(People Skills[Skill],[Person]=[_THISROW].[ID]))>0

Add the last action to Add a row to P_S from People Recursion

• Actions:
    • Add a row to P_S from People
    • Add rows to P_S from People

Workflow: Add rows to P_S when people add

• Target data: People
  • Update event: ADDS_ONLY
  • Run these tasks:
    • Workflow task name: Add rows to P_S from People task
    • Task category: Change data
    • Data change action name: Add rows to P_S from People

@perissf your method is perfect! No extra data changes necessary to be communicated back and forth between the server and apps. I LOVE IT!

• So much so that I made this sample app to demonstrate it. (^_^)

I made a few changes to make things a bit more efficient, as well as migrating all the executions into actions alone (no workflows) - this way all the data changes are immediate. (^_^)

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/How-to-loop-through-a-list-and-create-child-records-for-each-item-i...

Thanks!

No noโ€ฆ thank YOU (^_^)

Top Labels in this Space