How can I access editing on a deployed public app without allowing the public to also have access to editing

I have a deployed app. My first one. The data is set to read-only as I do not wish everyone to be able to edit the data. I won’t to be able to perform actions and edit the data myself as creator but keep the public setting such that the public cannot edit. How can this be done?

0 3 143
3 REPLIES 3

Make a second app, just for you.

Hey Shirlene_Clark,

This might not be entirely accurate to your specific use case, but hopefully it can point you in a direction to get you started.

I made an app recently and I wanted to be able to limit who could make changes and who would not be able to. I went to the “Data” menu and when looking at a specific table there is an “Are updates allowed?” section. By default “Add,” “Delete,” and “Updates” are selected as true.

I put in an expression with the flask that looked like this,

SWITCH(LOOKUP(USEREMAIL(), “Employees”, “Employee Email”, “Employee Role”),
“Admin”, “ALL_CHANGES”,
“READ_ONLY”)

This looks at my “Employees” table for each row with an email to return the employees role. If the role matches “Admin” they can perform all changes while everyone else is read only.

With this being a public app this solution may not work, but hopefully it can at least give you a direction to start researching what you may be able to do for adding, deleting, or updating privileges for the data.

Have a good one!
Cale with QREW Tech

USEREMAIL() is not available in Public apps.

Top Labels in this Space