How do you guys make "Help page" for your apps?

Apps created with AppSheet is every easy to use and understand. Still, some appโ€™s features require more explanation, shown on the โ€œHelp pageโ€. How did you do it?

Regards,

1 12 1,500
  • UX
12 REPLIES 12

I often use a column I call โ€œexplanationโ€ and put the addition information (sometimes several paragraphs worth) in there. You could also and a link to another view in the app with more information or a link to web page.

Wow, that looks fantastic !

Does the โ€œexplanationโ€ column belong to a new table dedicated for it?

No. In my app itโ€™s just an ordinary column. The table from which this view is made doesnโ€™t have many records so having a lot of text in one cell is not a big problem. Iโ€™m not sure if it would work in exactly the same way for you if your circumstances are different.

Thanks.

Good luck!

P.S. Sorry. I just got confused and posted something that made no sense so I deleted it.

I need to have an appโ€™s help with separated subjects. I created a table,

help(item, subject, help_detail, photo)

, and then created a view for this table. It seems okay for me. However, I need to see other ideas like yours.

Nice, neat construction of the page @Kirk_Masden

@Swoopy, I believe you may also wish to take a look at the onboarding views, just in case you have not yet taken a look at them. They could become a part of overall โ€œhelpโ€ information approach for your app.

Oh, how could I overlook this view !

I may use it in future.

Sometimes Iโ€™ll make use of an action, setting it to be inline with a column, that looks like a question mark; when people tap it, itโ€™s just an alert action with some text in it.

You can easily create alert actions like this, where you donโ€™t need anything to happen but show a little text, by using the Group action; if you donโ€™t put any actions in the stack, but set the confirmation to happen, you get an action that creates a pop up.

Now if you REALLY wanna get crazy , you can create an actual in-app help system - with a table for users to submit a help request, and a followup table for the answers.

You can go EVEN further and take this help system and integrate actions (like I was describing above) onto the fields that people were asking about with deeplinks taking you to the specific help request and followup.

The final way Iโ€™ve done this is to create similar fields like what Kirk is doing:

But Iโ€™ll include a UserSetting to turn these on/off. For people like me, the dev of the system, or other power users, we can skip those - they just get in the way.

Thatโ€™s a great trick !

I may have to use this trick in future. Thank you.

Hereโ€™s another example of how I add explanations to pages in my app. Itโ€™s part of a โ€œfeature requestโ€ for a hide / show toggle. We donโ€™t have that yet, but, for now, this is another example of my approach. If you think it would be nice to have a hide / show toggle, please vote for it.

โ€œTap & Holdโ€ to show Tooltip message, like AppSheet already has in โ€œChart viewโ€, is good enough if available for columnโ€™s name shown in detail views.

Top Labels in this Space